St Croix Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be making my first trip to St Croix in January. We rented a house on the east end of the island that apparently faces Buck Island. I am trying to get a handle on the approximate distance to Christainsted and which dive operator would be my best bet. I have looked at Cane Bay and Dive Experience, which both seem to be excellent operators with good reviews - which operator would be the closest to La Viridian on the east end of the island? I'm also interested in doing a specialty navigation course -- thanks for any help.

Bill

Without question, if you are seeking a true local environmentalist and some great boat diving, then meet Michele Pugh, the owner of Dive Experience! Her shop is located right downtown Christainstead, and she is truly a first class operator! If you are looking for some great north shore dives along the edge of the tectonic plate shift, then by all means Cane Bay is the way to go! So, that being said, you have the winning combination already in hand!

PM me if you want so personal contact with either of them!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input - it's a balancing act to arrange diving around our wives. I'm planning on diving in the mornings and then the rest of the day is hers. Bill

Cane Bay or Carambola is a good choice for a non-diving spouse. My wife doesn't I've but enjoys sitting in the sun reading a few books while my son and I are diving the walls.

Dive Experience is a lot of fun. If you are here during a new moon try to do the ostacod (sp?) night dive. Unique bioluminescence about an
hour after sunset.

Also try to hit the pier for a night dive. Fantastic dive. N2 The Blue or St Croix Ultimate Bluewater Experience (S.C.U.B.A) are good choices for the west end.

If you want to do any technical diving or training SCUBA Tec kicks *** - just finished up my Tec TriMix training with them. Jon and Lauren are amazing instructors.

Have a great time - Leaving St Croix after 6 months in the middle of next month and I think it will be harder than selling all of my stuff and moving down here to begin with!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.745832,-64.696155

Welcome to our island!!! All of the dive ops here are great! And so is the diving.

However, I would not choose a dive operator based on distance...it's an island, not that big and lots of scenic roads, so no dive ops are out of reach.

That said...I'm a proud employee of Cane Bay Dive Shop, and before that, I was a satisfied customer. My partner has lived on STX since 1978, he was in the dive industry for a number of years and on our days off, we dive at Cane Bay. Here's why.

If you dive from Christiansted, first you have to find parking, and it may not be anywhere near the shop, and it may cost. When you park, leave NOTHING in your car and leave it unlocked. There is no beach for your spouses, and it is boat diving only.

If you drive a little further along the spectacular north shore to get to Cane Bay, you will find ample free, convenient parking right on the beach and right in front of the shop. There's a nice beach for your spouses, and they can sit in the sun or under a shady tree. There is nice shallow snorkeling right off the beach. You may choose to beach dive to the wall or take a boat dive. There are two restaurants right there. Cane Bay Dive Shop has instructors on staff ready to dive at your convenience from 8 am to 7 pm seven days a week. PM me if you want to know who my favorite is. :) Shop phone 800-338-3843. (Don't ask for me, though, I work at their DIVI location, no diving here to speak of but you're staying close by, so drop by and say hi!)

No matter who you dive with, everyone is good and our diving is fabulous. Enjoy your visit!

offtopic: WMPerry, PM me if you're selling some stuff before you move.

My family and I are all set for our trip in January just secured the flight tickets. Called Cane Bay they are arranging the logistics for me to do a few boat dives as we speak. Maybe I'll see you on the Island or even better in the water.

EyeDoc Jim -- it would be great to do a dive in warm water. I normally start to year off with a New Year's day dive in our local quarry, which is around 40 degrees. I'll really appreciate St Croix after being in the quarry.

Dive Safe

Bill

EyeDoc Jim -- it would be great to do a dive in warm water. I normally start to year off with a New Year's day dive in our local quarry, which is around 40 degrees. I'll really appreciate St Croix after being in the quarry.

Dive Safe

Bill

You are a cold water diver. New years day in PA....yikes..I dive at Dutch Springs frequently during the summer. They just closed the diving for the season 2 weeks ago but I coudn't make it that weekend. I still dive a 7 mil wet so 40's is too cold for me. We were at Cape Ann this summer it it was 48 on the last of 3 dives, I lasted about 15 minutes before I called the dive.

All the best, Jim

Dry suit is in my future!!!!

Due to a family business we operate in Rehoboth Beach DE I can't dive during the summer and haven't had a chance to get to Dutch Springs. I do my local diving at Bainbridge quarry, which is not as nice as Dutch Springs from what I hear. I also dive a 7mil and after 30 minutes on my New Year day dive I'm done!! Each year I say it's my last plunge, but if I decide to go this year it will be less than 30 minutes. Needless to say St Croix is more applying.

Bill

Welcome to our island!!! All of the dive ops here are great! And so is the diving.

If you dive from Christiansted, first you have to find parking, and it may not be anywhere near the shop, and it may cost. When you park, leave NOTHING in your car and leave it unlocked. There is no beach for your spouses, and it is boat diving only.

Debby your advice for divers here is usually pretty good but you've got to be kidding about this little morsel of untruth. Parking is easy to find in Christiansted, sometimes right across the street from the shop and if not, there's always ample parking in the government lot (a half block away) for a few bucks. I can't tell you the last time I've heard of anyone's car being broken into during anything other than very late night hours. You can't possibly and with a straight face say that the parking is as safe along the beach at CB as it is in town.

Back
Top Bottom