St John Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkl

New
Reaction score
I'm going to St John in February and was hoping someone out there could clarify the shore diving situation there. I've heard some people say that it isn't allowed from any of the beaches in the National Park. I also read that someone dove at Waterlemon which I believe is IN the National Park. Any suggestions for specific bays or areas to dive from? I've email some of the dive ops down there, but no one has answered (they want my money for a boat dive?) except Brad at St Johns and he didn't know much about shore diving (Hey he's got his own boat!) My hubby is a nervous diver and I think I could get him in the water easier if we didn't have to get on a boat. :confused:

We just got back from St. John, our 4th trip in 4 years. I've never heard anything about not being allowed to shore dive there, but it's just not something that you see much of. The snorkeling is so easy and so good in almost all of the bays that there's really no need to gear up for scuba. Seriously, we've seen loads of underwater life snorkeling there -- sharks, barracudas, squid, stingrays, eagle rays, turtles, octopus -- it really is quite good.

Nearly all of the bays require some amount of hiking to get to the shore, so that may be one reason there's not much shore diving... it's just cumbersome to schlep the gear along. A buddy of mine has done some shore diving down at Hart Bay, on the SE part of the island, and he says that is a good dive site, about 50' depth or so.

As far as boat operators, there aren't many options -- on the west end of the island, Low Key Watersports goes out of Cruz Bay; Cruz Bay Watersports goes from the Westin dock; and Paradise Watersports goes out from Caneel Resort.

I assume the "Brad" you were referring to is one of the owners of St. John Dive Adventures out of Coral Bay -- we dove with him a couple days last week and had an incredible time. Brad & Jay's boat takes a maximum 6 divers, and the sites we went to were spectacular. Brad is a wonderful guide, and I would recommend this operation in a heartbeat.

Angie

I completely agree with Angie S on the quality of snorkling in St. John. I spent my honeymoon in neighboring St. Thomas and did my diving there through the Chris Sawyer Diving Center (one boat dive and one beach dive).

My husband and I then took the ferry over to St. John for a day of snorkling and touring the island. It is beautiful and we saw as much interesting wildlife snorkling St. John as we did diving St. Thomas. St. John has an underwater park that is quite fun to check out too.

My memory of the National park thing is that it's actually the whole island that's considered a National park, but my memory could be a little hazy on that one...

So I'm sorry I can't help more on where to shore dive St. John, but I would definitely say enjoy a day of snorkling while you're there!

:D

Angie and Waterbaby thanks for your replies. Though I've enjoyed snorkeling in the past I've also regretted not diving on other once in a life time vacations. I've vowed never to do that again. Besides I like being a part of that world rather than just a spectator.
For any one out there interested: I emailed the National Park personnel and their reply was that you can dive ANY beach area except Trunk Bay. You are NOT allowed to enter the water through the designated swimming areas however. Beats me why, but maybe someone was frightened by a masked man or something. After my trip I'll let everyone know what I actually found as far as ease or difficulty of entry and exit as well as how the diving was.

You can't enter through designated swimming areas?! I don't even know what that means -- it's not like the beaches have roped-off swimming areas. I'm confused.

One idea to consider for diving at Waterlemon Cay is to rent a dinghy from Noah's Little Arks (Wharfside Village, Cruz Bay, right in front of the Beach Bar and Low Key Watersports), and take it around to Leinster Bay. There's a special mooring line there for dinghies that puts you closer to the cay. It would be a little tricky getting in and out of the dinghy, but certainly do-able. If you decide to hike in and dive from shore there, you have about a 0.8-mile trail to get there. It's a flat hike, but I wouldn't want to haul scuba gear that far.

If you rent a dinghy, you could also go to Whistling Cay and hook up to the mooring there for diving. You can't get there from shore because it's across a channel from Mary Point (near Francis and Maho Bays). We haven't been diving there, but we did a night snorkel there last year and it was really nice. Doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Whatever you decide, you're going to have a fabulous time on St. John. It's laid-back, beautiful, mostly unspoiled -- you'll love it.

Angie

Greetings,

I can't say as I'd recommend shore diving in St. John. There are beautiful beaches and great snorkeling but it's not like Cayman where the reef starts a few yards out. The other issue is equipment. You'll need to rent equipment and a car to get you and the gear to your dive site. Then pack it to the beach, get in and dive, hopefully finding something good on a new beach to you.

If you are staying on St. John I'd recommend Cruz Bay Watersports. They have a great operation and can make even the most nervous diver comfortable. You'll be taken to great sites and considering the logististics of shore diving (see above) you'll come out ahead.

If you are on St. Thomas then look to Chris Sawyer Dive Center, http://sawyerdive.vi/. They are out of the east end and are a great operation. They'll take care of you and dive the sites of St. Thomas and St. John.

Save the shore "diving" for snorkeling on St. John. If you have to shore dive then check out Coki Beach Dive Club on St. Thomas

Best,

Chris

I am surprised at the answer it is ok to shore dive but not from a swim beach.....

When i was last there it was against the law to shore dive period.

the good news is....there is a dive shop down town....it is easy to drive around....cars dont cost a forture....so if it is legal now...my next trip will include some shore dives.

if you go way north on the island...you dont see anyone...but dont leave anything in car you wouldnt want to go missing...rent a lockable car....not an open one

Back
Top Bottom