St. John, U.S.V.I.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyDan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

We're spending a week on St. John's in the end of January. Can I get some reccomendations for a dive operator near the southwest end of the island? For that matter, are there any dive sites we shouldn't miss?

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give. Thanks
Dan

I was just there this spring and loved every minute of it. The folks at Cruz Bay were very freindly and helpful, they even let me slip in a freebie dive the day before I left. I don't recall there ever being more than 6 divers on any given trip.
One sight that stuck out was Angel Fish if it still exists. They were telling us that the Army Corps of Engineers was going to move the reef (not quite sure how you go about doing that). It's considered a beginner sight (this was my freebie, while others were doing there resort dives) but it was loaded with beautiful critters (no angelfish beleive it or not). I saw about 5 puffers (look closely under the rocks and outcroppings), stingrays, etc. I wish I could remember the other sights I hit, but of course I've lost my logbook which is my usual reminder.
I haven't been to all that many places (Tortola and Martinique(only 2 dives each on a cruise), Aruba, DR, Grand Cayman and St. John). St. John ranked 2nd only to Grand Cayman in my book. You will love it!!!! Oh yeah, don't skip the night dive. There were tons of glowing critters to the point that I was chasing my own fins just so I could see the explosion of light that they created. Tons of lobster (big ones) to and from what one of the local bartenders told me, you are allowed to take them out of the water near the hotel. Just check on the area, a lot of the island is considered a wildife preserve.
I'm a little jealous now, thanks for letting me relive that trip and reminding how much I loved that trip...enjoy!!!
:bounce:
Jeff

You will love St. John!!!

I have spent a lot of time in the USVI and BVI, and St. John is one of my favorites. Get in touch with Chris Sawyer Dive Shop.

http://www.sawyerdive.vi/index.htm

They are based out of St. Thomas but they operate all over USVI and BVI. They run a good operation. Hope this helps. Oh Don't forget to stop by Woody's in Cruz Bay. Good food and great happy hour!!

Have a great time!!

:mean:

ST. John is nice and not as developed and touristy as many carribean islands. Very beautiful and relaxed atmosphere. I was there years ago and dove with an operation called Bob Shinner's Low Key Dive Tours. They were great but it was a while ago so I'm not sure if they are still under the same ownership or even still around. If they are and if Bob Shinner is still running the place I'm sure you would enjoy diving with them. Bob was the poster child for laid back with a great sense of humor. He certified a couple buddies who were on that trip with me and he was a very good instructor too.

One afternoon I went snorkeling in a bay that was the next bay over to your right as you face the water from downtown (Canile Bay I believe it was called). For kicks I took along a bunch of frozen squid I had purchased from a local store in a ziploc bag. I opened the bag and dropped a few squid to the sand bottom and in a little while there were several good size stingrays flocking around and eating the squid right out of my hand like the famous "Stingray City" only me and my snorkeling buddy had the whole place to ourselves. Tons of fun.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom