St. Kitts vs St. Lucia vs Barbados for best diving experience - Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going on a Cruise in Dec 2017 to St. Kitts (Basseterre), St. Lucia(Castries), and Barbados (Bridgetown). Which of these islands offers the best scuba diving (coral, marine life, visibility) experience? Also, any recommendations for dive operators at these ports? The cruise is not offering any dive excursions at these ports (except in St. Thomas so I will definitely dive there) .
Thanks,
Rayden.

I can't compare it to the other 2, but here's a Quick St. Lucia Trip Report from diving the Pitons trip on a cruise ship stop Jan. 2014 with Scuba Steve's, booked privately.

I liked it fine. One thing to consider is what the topside attractions are at the 3 islands you're considering; if diving were comparable between 2 but one had a compelling topside alternative, that might make the decision for you.

Richard.

Did the liveaboard from St. Maarten to St. Kitts - Didn't think much of St. Kitts topside.

Thank you both very much. ddrrich2 your very detail review, with pics, of St. Lucia was extremely helpful. I will definitely dive in St. Lucia and St. Thomas now. I most likely will dive in St. Kitts as well if I can not find any good topside excursions. St. John's activity will be horseback riding.
Thank you again,
Rayden

On our honeymoon many years ago wife & I did a St. Lucia excursion where we visited a banana plantation (they can bags on them to protect from monkeys; called them 'banana condoms' informally) and did a rainforest hike. Beautiful rainforest, and had a chance to get in a pool (water was chilly), but if you do this, wear sturdy footwear with ankle support. It was easy to turn an ankle there.

Richard.

So I'm new to Scubaboard and am a bit confused by all the dates. It seems everyone has been commenting on this post well past December 2017 (or maybe it shows that last date you visited Scuba Board??) Anyways, in case your cruise is in fact 2018 I strongly recommend diving in Barbados. The clear and warm waters are beautiful, lovely dive shops and for such a tiny island it holds more than 10 shipwrecks (some shallow!), and some really beautiful reef and drift dives. The diving is easy which gives you more time to enjoy the views and you regularly come across turtles, stingrays, seahorses etc.

am a bit confused by all the dates.
apparently...lol

This is April 2017 - Rayden's not going for 8 more months.

Although people do in fact post comments after trip dates occasionally - either they don't notice or want to provide info for some future trip/member. We have threads that go for years beyond their date.

go to Kenneth s dive center he's a great guy great diving ...till him steve sent you hell give you a great deal........!

I made several dives on St Lucia with Scuba Steve. I thought they were great dives and Scuba Steve runs a great operation. I booked trips on line and they picked me up at the the dock where the ship docked. I did not travel with my own kit on the cruise due to flights into San Juan to get on the ship. Cost for rental gear was only $10 extra over cost of dives, and gear was very good and all sizes were exactly what I requested and waiting for me aboard the dive boat. Would dive again with Scuba Steve next time I get to St. Lucia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom