St Lucia: Anse Chastanet- all inclusive, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering a summer stay at Anse Chastanet in St Lucia. The only thing that concerns me is that I've heard food is not the very best there. I'm therefore wondering if I should pay for the included meals package. Does anyone who has stayed there recently have any opinion on the food? Are there other options available? Independent restraunts, or nearby resorts?

Any other opinions or advice about the resort or area would also be most welcome.

The food there is very, very good and the resort is charming and private. The desserts are excellent- first rate. The best food I've ever had at any resort I've stayed at in the Caribbean. You might find the diving to be average, just ok, but you'll find the resort to be unique.

As far as staying there and eating someplace else. That is impractical, if not near impossible. No good restaurants near the resort at all. Take the all inclusive, you won't be sorry.

chaz:
I'm considering a summer stay at Anse Chastanet in St Lucia. The only thing that concerns me is that I've heard food is not the very best there. I'm therefore wondering if I should pay for the included meals package. Does anyone who has stayed there recently have any opinion on the food? Are there other options available? Independent restraunts, or nearby resorts?

Any other opinions or advice about the resort or area would also be most welcome.

It's been a few years since I was there. We enjoyed the resort very much. Our assessment of the food was that it was good, but not great. We are not big AI fans. We like to get out and try different places. When we went to Anse Chastenet, we expected to go someplace else for dinner at least once, but we never did because it was so difficult. Anse Chastenet is at the end of two miles of the worst road on the island. There is actually a small stream running OVER the road at one point. It takes 20 minutes or so to get to the main road. Going somewhere else to eat becomes a major expedition. If I went back, I would take the AI.

Actually, they are the worst roads I have ever seen any place in the Caribe. I've seen smoother tank tracks :)

divingjd:
It's been a few years since I was there. We enjoyed the resort very much. Our assessment of the food was that it was good, but not great. We are not big AI fans. We like to get out and try different places. When we went to Anse Chastenet, we expected to go someplace else for dinner at least once, but we never did because it was so difficult. Anse Chastenet is at the end of two miles of the worst road on the island. There is actually a small stream running OVER the road at one point. It takes 20 minutes or so to get to the main road. Going somewhere else to eat becomes a major expedition. If I went back, I would take the AI.

If I went back I would definitely take the helicopter ride from the airport to the Soufriere area. That nite ride in a taxi after travelling all day was a nightmare. I think a "road" has to be maintained before it shoud qualify as a road!

I've seen worse roads here in Michigan, which is famous for bad roads. Shoddy construction and midwest winters are brutal on road surfaces. But the "road" to Anse Chastenet is the worst I have seen in a place where it doesn't freeze in the winter.:wink:

Was there about two years ago. I would definitely suggest a AI place since going out to eat is a major undertaking. There are some decent places to eat in Castries, my wife and I tried mostly local cuisine, which was good but nothing to write home about. The prices were fair to moderate depending on the eatery. Its a really nice island, and we had a really nice time there.

If you have time I definitely suggest checking out Soufriere. Nothing like a drive in volcano (actually just a really big sulfur pit) :yuck:

Hi, Anse Chastanet is lovely for diving and snorkelling. However it is isolated from restaurants so, regretabbly, I would opt for All Inclusive. You are about 20 minutes drive from Soufriere which does have restaurants but it will be a bumpy ride!

Castries - as mentioned in the previous post- is in the island's North. It is about 1 hour by boat but longer by car.

If you are diving with "Scuba St Lucia" which is based at Anse Chastenet, do check out Victor. He has been diving for a long time and has logged up massive numbers of dives. Ponti is also very experienced.
There was some construction work going on at Anse C. in January. They are expanding in preparation for the World Cup Cricket in 2007 and the new rooms are going to be incredible. If you want any general info on St Lucia PM me. I am going out there next week.

Have a great time!

Not only take the all inclusive but the fruit and drink package for the fridge. Also bring your own booze for drinks in the room.

I agree about looking up Victor, if he hasn't retired yet. He was my divemaster there and he was great. He is a legend, in the Guiness Book of World Records for most logged scuba dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom