St. Martin/ Maarten question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have searched the board and found nothing concrete -- and I understand that if most of us went to this part of the Caribbean we'd just go to Saba for diving. However, my family are going to St. Martin/ Maarten (July 2004) and we have rented a villa in the Terres Basses for a week.
I'm looking for dive operators.
So far I've found Scuba Fun (would use the French side shop), Ocean Explorers (Simpson Bay, very neraby) and then the most often referred to Scuba Shop/ Dive Safaris.
The easiest question is this: any gripes from anyone about any of these shops? We are not on a cruise ship schedule, obviously, and would like to do the more advanced diving St. Martin has to offer. Yes, we're considering a day in Saba but...
Any tips on shore diving from Martin/ Maarten are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Dive Safari is or was a very nice outfit. Dove with them several times. Friend of mine has a home in Guana Bay. Diving is OK but don't expect anything great. Better than not getting wet anyway.

been out witn fun scuba at le meridien a few times.

i can highly recommend them.

have also dove with blue dolphin at le flambouyant
and octoplus in grand case

you will like fun scuba's boat the best. it is a 30ft i think and has ladders that allow you to return to the boat, fins on.

the others use much smaller boats and do not travel as far. most of the good sites are about a 1/2 hour boatride away. fun will probably pick you up from anywhere on the island.

check out their webiste and send antoinne an e-mail.

the diving is not as colourful as coz. but it is actually quite good.

tourizm is down so do a little research and they will likely take you tho the sites of your choice.

Tradewinds - Oyster Pond - owner Tom (whose last name I forget, Burnett maybe?). Long time operation, very professional.
Ocean Explorer - Simpson Bay - LeRoy French. Another long time, professional shop. (Have done most of my diving w/ them, even though Dive Safari has a shop right below my time share.) Has rented tanks to do some shore diving. Many beaches have long shallow drops, so you have to go quite a ways out to get deeper then 20 feet.
Dive Safari - refused to rent me tanks several years ago. Seem to want to load up boats. Others here seem to love them.
Octoplus - Orient Beach - plan on trying them over my New Years trip. I'll let you know how that goes.

I will be spending a few days over on Saba & do recommend it, I use Saba Deep over there. Great guys. Fly over if you get the chance.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind advices. I look forward to hearing how Octoplus is, Jersey, over your (lucky!) New Years trip. Have a great holiday over there.

Many cheers.

Yes, Tom Burnett is the owner of Tradewinds.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom