St. Thomas / Samana / Tortola / Great Stirrup -- Cruise questions/info request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I posted the following in the cruise section, but since so many members probably never check that thread and my post is only partially cruise-related, I thought I'd post my questions here, also...

I am going on a NCL (Norweigian Dawn) cruise for non-diving reasons, but I want to get a dive or two in while I'm traveling. I'm looking for recommendations on which places to dive, dive ops, and dive sites, given the following details. Ports of call are the following:

Samana, DR
St. Thomas, USVI
Tortola, BVI
Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

While there is only me and another diver, I hope to put a small group together (via the larger group we're joining within our cruise, or cruisecritic, or here?). My preference is small boats, 6-8 divers - no cattle boats. Thus, I'm obviously not going to dive with the cruise dives, the NCL-sponsored excursions. So, I'll need a dive op that will fit into the port-of-call routine (pick-up/drop-off at cruise dock, work within the small window of visit hours, etc.).

1. Other than Tortola, if I want to dive two or three days, which locations should I choose? No need to comment on whether to dive Tortola or not, it's obviously at the top of this lame list and the Rhone is obviously one of the top sites given these options. The only question is which op is my best choice, given my preference for small boats and my cruise restrictions (and that I want to max my bottom time as opposed to having to surface because some beginners have used all their air).

2. I've read everything posted on Samana within two years here (ebuzo posted some helful info), but I'm still left wondering if diving Samana makes number 2 on the list, and allows for a non-NCL dive op??

3. St. Thomas probably is an option, and I've already learned by reading posts here that Blue Island or Admiralty are good choices and Sawyer probably isn't (since I like small boats, and given my cruise restrictions). And, of course, I WON'T DIVE COKI BEACH. Would St. Thomas make #2 on this list, and what's the dive site and dive op recommendations?

4. I believe Great Stirrup is a private island, if so I would have no non-NCL dive options - only their excursions. Now, once I did a Stuart's Cove dive as a RCL-sponsored dive excursion, and although I paid a premium it was an awesome day of diving (on a cattle boat)... so maybe I might consider this stop for diving if I learn the sites there are awesome (but I've heard there's no good diving there?). Of course, I'll have to check with cruisecritic...

On a side-question, I might want to choose to snorkel with some nondiving friends. Do any of these locations offer a great snorkelling option? I'd get to spend some time with other friends... but if Tortola is the only good snorkelling location (The Baths?) I probably would replace my best dive option with snorkelling...

Thanks!!

All I know anything about is the middle two. I used blue island on st thomas, and dive tortola on tortola 284.494.9200. Blue island is right where the cruise ship parks and dive tortola is about a 10 minute cab ride at best

I would highly recommend Admiralty Dive Center on St. Thomas. Smal charters, very personalized service, owners and staff are the best, tons of dive site variety, sites selected based on experience of divers as well as weather/sea conditions. They will pick you up at the cruise ship dock. (OK, I am a bit biased since the owners are two of my best friends, but they are also the ones who instructed and certified me, and they are genuinely good people who will work with you to make sure you have an awesome experience.
Admiralty Dive Center

I would highly recommend Dive Tortola. Have dived with them on two different trips and never had more than six people on the boat. Very nice boats and good DM's. Located right on the western edge of Roadtown.

Also, the Baths are not at Tortola but actually Virgin Gorda which is a good 30 minute ferry ride from Tortola. The snorkeling there is okay but not great.

I would highly recommend Admiralty Dive Center on St. Thomas. Smal charters, very personalized service, owners and staff are the best, tons of dive site variety, sites selected based on experience of divers as well as weather/sea conditions. They will pick you up at the cruise ship dock. (OK, I am a bit biased since the owners are two of my best friends, but they are also the ones who instructed and certified me, and they are genuinely good people who will work with you to make sure you have an awesome experience.
Admiralty Dive Center
Sounds like the best plan for St. Thomas would be to try to get a group of 6-8 (my friend, and maybe use cruisecritic to find others) and "charter" with Admiralty or Blue Island (if they only have 6-8-pack boat and we're going to fill it. If it's only a friend and me, sounds like they still offer a good private op option so I don't have to dive with a NCL excursion (cruise-sponsored op).

So, what dive sites would I want to request, or not allow? For example, I already know to get a commitment that I not be taken to Coki nor Scuba World... what about Barges, or Turtle Island, or a wall at St. Johns, or what else?

Seems like the advice is to not even both attempting to dive at Samana (due to my location of the cruise peer and limited time with no flexibility of cruise schedule and distance from there to worthy dive sites) -- anyone have any experience to the contrary?

Thanks!!

So, what dive sites would I want to request, or not allow? For example, I already know to get a commitment that I not be taken to Coki nor Scuba World... what about Barges, or Turtle Island, or a wall at St. Johns, or what else?

If you call Admiralty, ask to talk to Laura - that's the owner and my friend. Just tell her what you're interested in seeing and anything you're not interested in and she'll tell you about the different sites they can take you to. They have 2 boats, one for 6 and one for 12 although they use the 12 most of the time even when it was just 4 of us going out. (and tell her Karen says hi!) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom