STA Weight with 7mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozumelkeith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey All,
Posted this on DIRx, figured I'd give here a try as well...

Hey Guys
Recently ordered an STA weight (6lbs) after discussing weighting options with an LDS. Im a little concerned now after crunching some numbers that using the STA weight with a stainless backplate and 7mm might leave me with too much non ditchable weight.

Taking some numbers from the GUE Rec 1 workbook, at 30m with a full AL80:

Regs: -1.4kg
Tank: -1.8kg
Stainless BP: -2.7kg
STA Weight: -2.7kg

For a total of -8.6kg non ditchable weight.

With a 7mm I'm looking at about 2.7kg of lift at 30m, which gives me a buoyancy of -5.9kg. (Although I'll likely be wearing a hooded vest as well, so positive buoyancy from the suit might be a little more than 2.7kg).

Id be using my ACB pockets for the ditchable weight needed, but I am wondering, in your opinion, would using the STA weight with the setup I am describing here leave me unacceptably negative in the event of a wing failure at depth with full tank? I want to get as much weight off my belt as possible to facilitate trim, but wondering if maybe trim weights on cam straps with one or two pounds might be a better/safer way to go...

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Keith

I would also be concerned with those numbers. Are you sure an AL80 is -1.8kg full? Most sources I see say -1.4lbs salt water, which is only 0.6kg. Going from -5.9kg to -4.7kg might make a difference.

Try it and see if you can swim it up?

Hmm, yeah when I checked on pre-2009 Luxfer AL80s (what I have) says -1.4lbs (-.6kg)... Wonder if this is an error in the workbook?

Attachments

• luxfer scuba cylinder specification us.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 733
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom