Stage Dive,OK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If a diver holds a full cave card is he diving within his certification level if he/she does a dive requiring a stage?

Put another way,are the Cave Stage Diver courses required or are they optional?

I guess the question could be asked,if you didn't have a stage diving card could you use stages at the full cave level-yes. I think many people learn stage diving through doing first hand,but I once tagged along with a stage diving class and was surprised to see what was learned. It was more than how to rig a stage and gas planning,but covered conservation,traversing smaller passages,emergency situations etc.

ianr33:
If a diver holds a full cave card is he diving within his certification level if he/she does a dive requiring a stage?

Put another way,are the Cave Stage Diver courses required or are they optional?

I personally consider stage, sidemount, dpv etc as specialty cave classes. They aren't required to participate in a specific activity but the class can be very rewarding and useful (unlike many rec specialties). This observation comes not from my direct expierence but from those I dive with who have taken the time to do a class.

in_cavediver:
I personally consider stage, sidemount, dpv etc as specialty cave classes. They aren't required to participate in a specific activity

In some places having DPV training is required to use a DPV in that cave system.

Sidemounting is a departure from many things that are done in back mount cave diving. Although nobody requires a card to do this form of diving,some type of instruction is needed either from formal instruction or mentoring. I pitty the poor sidemount diver who gets stuck in a small silty cave and hasn't addressed this problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom