Staging practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thousands of such dives?

I call BS.

He was probably exaggerating. Make it hundreds and it's the same anecdote.

Richard - I've brought two bottles (80 + 40) into the same passages on Yukon. I agree, it's easily done. We were just limiting the load Nick was carrying (he had his camera rig).

Richard - I've brought two bottles (80 + 40) into the same passages on Yukon. I agree, it's easily done. We were just limiting the load Nick was carrying (he had his camera rig).

Jeesh doesn't that stroke know any better? :rofl3:

And some of us use He to remember where we left them.

I don't think that the Rouse's are deserving of the criticism that they have been dealt by the diving community. Especially since that would make us all hypocrites to some degree. The accident demonstrates a chain of events and poor decisions that were made that one day that resulted in no chance for redemption and no chance to learn and grow from those mistakes. Helium is just a tool and divers can still die if they begin making mistakes, each one becoming a link in the accident chain.

Divers can drop stages on helium and become lost on a wreck. Wrecks aren't just pointy ends and square ends and the size, layout of the site and visibility can make navigating a wreck challenging.

Divers can leave bottles and find them missing. I've seen a very skilled team of GUE and NACD trained divers stage their oxygen bottles on top of a wreck only to watch a less skilled team pummel their line at the tie-off placing the security of the line and their bottles at risk.

I wish our community would show more respect and be less trite to its fallen. We are all capable of screwing up. How many of us have been hospitalized for accidents that were our fault? When accidents happen underwater, there are no time-out's. We should be able to respect those who have made those mistakes because we are no better, but let the analysis of those accidents help us keep our minds on the game and stay safe.

Good point Trace.

I made a big mistake mountain biking last Fall and was fortunate enough to limp away without a broken neck or back. I learned valuable lessons from that and ride accordingly now. If I'd have made a mistake of that magnitude in a cave or inside a wreck, I'd likely not have gotten the opportunity to do a "lessons learned"..... humbling....

When ever possible, I like to keep my bottles with me, especially my 50%. However as with any dive, you need to weigh the risk vs reward of not only dropping the bottles, but scooters and any other critical equipment you may be carrying. Discovering the engine room on the Jodrey last year resulted in a lot of discussion amongst our group about what would be required in order to make the penetration.

Trace brings up an excellent point... not an unusual occurrence... and I am as guilty as the next in displaying arrogance and lack of empathy to those who provide life lessons for the rest of our community. My free use of the term "Stupid Muppet" springs to mind.

There's a certain amount of hypocrisy in my attitude towards those unfortunates who make avoidable errors, such as diving to 250 feet on air, because I've made my share of stupid mistakes too.

I often quote the lines from Issac Newton who, explaining his creative genius while paying homage to the great thinkers who paved the way for him, said we see the stars because we stand on the shoulders of giants. With apologies, it may be time to turn those sentiments around and give thanks rather than derision to people like the Rouses who give those of us with our eyes open a graphic object lesson in what not to do. Which in this instance is NOT to have a sort of ad-hoc method of staging bottles.

Back
Top Bottom