Started working out, started gaining weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tonight is the final workout before I "graduate" from the six week program at the YMCA!

I have:
"the good"
* Gotten a bit stronger and I can feel it
* Increased my stamina on the cardio machines
* Started enjoying being at the gym

"the bad"
* My weight still varies from 137-142, no change there after 6 weeks
* My clothes still fit the same and I find that frustrating after all this work
* Going to have to find some way to get my body to change

Hubby has decided he needs to get to the YMCA more. I am there 1.5 hours for my cardio and weight workout and he doesn't take that long for his workout. I told him I would continue to do my current workout after work before he gets off so he doesn't have to wait forever on me and I don't have to hurry. I get home from the Y about the same time he gets home from work. I told him I have no problem going back and doing a second cardio workout with him. "Two-a-days" LOL! Maybe that will get my body to decide to shape up :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
"the bad"
* My weight still varies from 137-142, no change there after 6 weeks
* My clothes still fit the same and I find that frustrating after all this work
* Going to have to find some way to get my body to change

Six weeks is a short period to expect striking results. BUT, as far as your "bad" changes:
1. throw the scale in the trash. Who cares how much you weigh? :D
2. Do your clothes really fit "the same"? Or, do your pants still fit because your rear has filled out but your waist has shrunk so you can still wear them? and your shoulders and arms and back have filled out but your waist shrunk....so your blouses still can be worn?
3. You'll see results. Remember, you're not 16 anymore. My 17 year old son can pack on more visible muscle in three months than I can in three years. Just keep at it. I think this may be the point where people give up because they don't think they look like the expected after all that work. And besides, you look pretty good anyway, unless your profile pic is 20 years ago....:D

Hank49:
Six weeks is a short period to expect striking results. BUT, as far as your "bad" changes:
1. throw the scale in the trash. Who cares how much you weigh? :D

I know, I know :D I'm sure I won't be able to get back to my beloved 125 pounds but those bigger numbers sure are hard to get used to seeing. Most people would never guess I weigh that much anyway, heck they never believed the 125 either I usually had to get on a scale to prove I was that heavy.

Hank49:
2. Do your clothes really fit "the same"? Or, do your pants still fit because your rear has filled out but your waist has shrunk so you can still wear them? and your shoulders and arms and back have filled out but your waist shrunk....so your blouses still can be worn?

Unfortunately they really fit the same. My waist is what I've been hoping would change, but I still have that fat roll tilting over the waistband. I've always had a nice round rump with narrow hips and that seems to have firmed up again...still not sure I can bounce a quarter off of it though. I think my hips had started spreading a bit over the last year or so but that just gives me some curve, I was built like a 12 year old boy until about a year and a half ago LOL! Just for fun a couple years ago I went to the boys department and tried on some pants, the 14-slims fit me though the legs and the rise were a tad short so I wouldn't wear them in public LOL! I don't think I could get my hips in them now but I keep telling myself curves are what is attractive about a female, I should be built like a Le Mans course not a Drag Strip :eyebrow:

Hank49:
3. You'll see results. Remember, you're not 16 anymore. My 17 year old son can pack on more visible muscle in three months than I can in three years. Just keep at it. I think this may be the point where people give up because they don't think they look like the expected after all that work. And besides, you look pretty good anyway, unless your profile pic is 20 years ago....:D

Thanks! Actually that picture is about 6 years old now but my built hasn't changed a lot with the exception of the added curves. I look at these kids in the gym and think "I looked like that until I was almost 40." I try to console myself with the fact that most of them won't be able to pull THAT off :wink: The addition of a small layer of cellulite to my legs is annoying because I can see it but when I had my body fat percentage checked the girl said my skin on my legs was really tight and she had trouble getting a fat reading there. I'm just used to being able to see the details of the tiniest muscles, being "cut" if you want to call it that, and getting what is actually a "normal" body hasn't been easy to adjust to.

I can see why people would give up, it IS frustrating. I'm going to have them set me up with a custom program when I "graduate" from the one I'm in. Now I have to find some sort of short term goal to keep me motivated. The "two-a-days" may keep me entertained for a while but I have a short attention span LOL!

Ber

I've been full on working out for the last 15 months and have seen no change in my weight over that period of time but my stamina is now in the top end of the excellent category and I have dropped nearly 2 dress sizes. Over this period I also gave up smoking so coped with the gain then loss of the change in metabolism weight...

If you really feel you have a problem area the best thing to do is invest in a personal training session - those guys should definitely put you on the right track.

sunrise3:
Ber

If you really feel you have a problem area the best thing to do is invest in a personal training session - those guys should definitely put you on the right track.

Actually that's what I'm graduating from. Our YMCA has something called a "Personal Fitness Program" where the trainers set you up with a program. I was on the 6 week program and have my "graduation" meeting tomorrow morning. I can start a custom program now that I have completed the basic 6 week program and they will help me set that up.

I'm just so "results oriented" and I can't seem to see the results I want. One of the trainers said I'm looking a lot more toned, maybe I'm the only one who can't see it :( Of course he never saw me when I was "cut" either, guess I'm just having a hard time accepting that I'm not going to get my body back.

The personal training that I was meaning is when you have a personal trainer who trains with you and basically acts like a 'seargant major' you'll work harder than you have ever done before.

sunrise3:
The personal training that I was meaning is when you have a personal trainer who trains with you and basically acts like a 'seargant major' you'll work harder than you have ever done before.

Ah, I see. I tend to drive myself pretty hard though, not sure if anyone could out push my own inner critic LOL! To me, if my muscles aren't starting to fail I'm not working out :D I'm working with almost 100 pounds over my original assigned weight on some of the exercises that involve bigger muscles. The trainers at the Y tend to stay on the safe side when setting people up with workout programs while I tend to think "Let's see what this baby can do!" I prefer to start with an attempt at moving a large stack of lead on the machine and then choosing progressively lower weight until I can actually move it and keep my form. Moving heavy things makes me happy :D

I DO have some good news! While my jeans still fit the same I put my dress pants on for the first time since I started working out and THEY fit better! YAY! The jeans must be "shrinking to fit" as I go.

I got my completion certificate on Saturday and I started a 4 week program for now, maybe then I can go into a custom program. I actually caught myself yearning to go to the gym yesterday too! I did a pilates tape instead, the Y is only open from 1-5 on Sundays so I wouldn't have been able to get there in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom