starter regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atomic T3 regulator, the first and last regulator you will ever need. It will last you a lifetime plus a lot more with the best breathing and reliability standards in the world!

Atomic Aquatics T3 Regulator

The problem with a "starter" reg is that in 2 years time you will need to service it regardless of use and that will incur a cost that approximates the amount you will have initially spent on the reg set.

I would recommend something like the Mares MR22 with abyss 2nd stage and either an abyss or prestige octo.

In general I would forgo the gauge console which was probably popular when you originally began diving and instead just get an SPG and use your dive computer to track depth....obviously get a dive computer if you don't already have one, it is much more advantageous than diving a square profile/table based dive plan.

Aqualung Legend or Aqualung Titan are decent models as well.

If you plan to get into self-servicing your regs then I would suggest a Deep 6 setup or a Dive Rite setup, as the parts kits are readily available without hassle.

Others will surely chime in with more suggestions.

Happy hunting.
-Z

If you are going to have it maintained/serviced locally, I would start by identifying what brands your local dive shop(s) services. Costs will go up if you need to ship the reg set somewhere for service. You might not buy what they service, but if you go with a different brand you ought to at least eliminate their brands with some thought put into it.

Sherwood Brute, decent solid reg and the dry bleed environmental seal keep the internals of the first stage clean so it is more forgiving. Run it till it dies and buy a new one or have it serviced. Shop around and it won't break your budget.

From my experience, it can go a long time without needing service. I see no need to service regs at any particular schedule, I service mine when there is an issue, as regulator performance will degrade over time but dependant on use it can take five or more years with low use.

Bob

Sherwood Brute...

Sherwood certainly make good regulators....but getting them serviced outside the US has proven problematic to my fellow club members that own them...I can only speak to trying to getting them serviced in Western Europe so depending on where outside the US may vary.

If the OP is going to do any traveling then I would recommend a make/model of regulator that is universally known throughout the world as you never know if you if and when you might need a part or emergency service.

-Z

Unless you are diving cold water I would go with a Scubapro mk10/G250. Outperforms almost anything out there, parts are readily available anywhere, has a swivel turret for hose routing and you can buy them used for $100 to $150 all day long.

i am just returning to the hobby and can dive only say around 6-8x a year due to time constraints. also thinking if its practical to get a BC or just rent

Didn't know where he was at, or you for that matter as neither shows on the posts, and gave a recommendation with which I am farmiliar. Perhaps someone else reading will be assisted.

I concur that the gear should be available and serviceable locally, however requiring it be serviceable everywhere seems over the top to me, as even for extended trips I have not had a problem with the regs. I guess it depends on the quality of service.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom