Starting a Scuba Club in Fredericksburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's the problem. I was expecting certified people to show up but uncertified people did. So I made some phone calls asking about different certification programs and then no one showed up to the second meeting and only 2 people responded to my e-mail saying they wanted to get certified, which isn't enough to have a private class. So I'm just a bit frustrated with them after I've done all this work and they don't even e-mail me back to say yes or no.

I can see how you would be frustrated. I think a dive club in Fredericksburg would be an awesome idea though. Possibly advertise the same way you did for the first one and put in the flyer the possibility of having a private class if there was enough interest. I would also try and advertise out in town and not just on the Mary Wash campus. I would be you could even get people from the surrounding area to come if you were able to get the word out.

It's a good goal. I wouldn't give up just yet.

I wish I was in town to help you out. I will be in town Nov. 4th- Nov. 7th if you want to try and get some people to meet up and discuss possible ideas.

you should check with the shop in woodbridge its a new shop and they want to start a club also
woodbridge scuba is the name.

Hey

I am going to be in King George this week and was wondering if anything is going on with the Fred. dive club as far as meetings are going. I would love to come and meet some people, talk and give some advice.

Nothing is going on this week. I unfortunately can't make meetings for the time being (and I'm pretty sure nothing will happen without me). I'm in a play and we have rehearsal every night from 6 til 10:30.
A group of five are going down to Lake Rawlings with Mark Easter for the Open Water class. That's the only goings on with the club.
Hopefully, after they're certified, we'll have a solid base of divers so we can go out and dive. I'm excited. :bounce:

Nothing is going on this week. I unfortunately can't make meetings for the time being (and I'm pretty sure nothing will happen without me). I'm in a play and we have rehearsal every night from 6 til 10:30.
A group of five are going down to Lake Rawlings with Mark Easter for the Open Water class. That's the only goings on with the club.
Hopefully, after they're certified, we'll have a solid base of divers so we can go out and dive. I'm excited. :bounce:

Just as a quick update:

Those guys from UMW are troopers!!! Although we were not able to complete training for a number of reasons (mainly the fact the quarry was quite chilly - 64F) we made pretty good progress and I even think they had fun once they thawed out a little bit. After we saw some fish they all had big grins on their faces and talked very excitedly about the New Fredericksburg/UMW Dive Club future Dive trips!

We are working out the details for some contingency plan for completing their OW Training somewhere a bit warmer (Florida Springs perhaps). They ALL took very smoothly to the water, and in spite less than ideal conditions, had very little difficulty with their skills!

I hope you (Briny Liney) will pass my comments on to them, and go ahead and invite (and encourage) them to join and participate on Scubaboard and Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders!

:monkeydance:

Mark

We had a meeting last week and they told me all the fun times they had at Lake Rawlings. We're all looking forward to our spring break trip down to Florida for them to finish their dives.

And more good news! We finally have a faculty advisor so we can go ahead and become an official club! We're meeting tonight to write our club constitution so in about 2 weeks, we should be made official! I'm super excited. I can't wait to see where this club will go. We're already discussing fundraiser ideas to raise money for the spring break trip, so if anybody has any suggestions, that would be great!

Congratulations of acquiring a faculty advisor and becoming legit (so to speak)!

I look forward to getting them certified and I forsee no issues with any of them.

I also hope to continue working with the newly formed club and assisting you and your members pursue any continuing dive education they desire.

We had spoken about Digital Photography specialty and while that is NOT my area of expertise, I have a good Instructor friend who is more than qualified to assist whoever is interested in that area!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom