• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Starting out: Wolfinger or Harlow - Which should I read first?

Discussion in 'Repairing your own Gear' started by -JD-, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Conshelf 14, Sherwood brut (oldest version), calypso (not old, not new).

2. Yawana-Dive

Yawana-Dive Dive Resort

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I’m wondering if anyone can tell me where I can download a digital copy of either or both of these books. I’m happy to pay for them.
    I live in the Solomons and getting anything sent here is nearly impossible and very expensive. Downloading the books would be much easier for me.

3. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I have them; but specific manufacturer's service manuals, trump both authors; and the two, to their credit, admit as much, and encourage the reader to, at the very least, take a factory-sponsored tech course.

That said, I generally prefer the more grassroots Harlow approach (it fondly reminded me of Muir's How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive) who offered instructions on making custom tools and constructing IP gauges; testing for air leaks and cracking effort in a bathroom sink; jerry-rigging some service bench components; and offered critiques of, and tweaks to, servicing specific name brands.

On the other hand, Wolfinger, while fabulously knowledgeable, is far more abstract in his approach and, unabashedly, plugs his company's service equipment, Peter Built Co (see "A Word About Bias" on page 105) to the open exclusion of most everyone else, with little to no discussion of particular name brand regulators, if I recall correctly; but his thorough coverage of applied physical theory and engineering is valuable -- and the illustrations on principles are quite clear . . .

Attached Files:

Zef likes this.
  4. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

I read them both; and the fellow that I worked under, while at university, certainly spent more time than an afternoon at a Howard Johnson's or Marriott; was required to take serial manufacturer's refresher courses, with certainly more regularity than most do today (I am only required to attend every three years); and was first instructed to work on regulators and other diving equipment by the US Navy. He once spoke evasively about a "nice" swim, taken years before, in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Me? I am just a slack-jawed punk . . .

Zef likes this.
  5. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

Sadly, both books were produced by Luddites, almost twenty years ago; and I know if no digital versions of either. Both look to have been self-published at the local Kinkos . . .

6. Hoyden

Hoyden Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    If someone told you that they couldn't service a Brut, run away...

7. Jcp2

^^^ I am.

8. Jcp2

Ordered both Monday, separate websites, no special shipping, got both today.

couv likes this.