starting spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would also recommend

Spearfishing Planet - Powered by vBulletin

Not so many kids on there. As for either board, keep in mind that there are a ton of posting wh@res that don't practice or have the experience that they preach.

Get a smaller gun and work your way up to something bigger.

Start with smaller fish to get used to it.

I will disagree on the "have to get a course" bit. Most don't, just find a SAFE group of divers to go with that spear and watch them hunt before you try yourself.

You are probably going to want to buy a "hip load" type gun to start with. Much easier to pull the bands on.

Good luck and be safe.

I agree, start out with a 36" & work your way up. BUT TAKE A SPEARFISHING COURSE FIRST. It's better to learn the rite way through a class than on your on.

I agree with Killer & Griller 1000%

Find some people in your area on spearboard, tag along, try their equipment, and ASK ASK ASK ASK questions.

Learn the rules and regulations for your area first, and what fish you like to eat. I got a polespear and went out with my wife. I had a lot of fun and ate well until I lost a large fish. Then went out and bought a gun. It is best as others have said to hook-up with a dive group or someone with experience in your area. Or if classes are available in your area to learn the types of fish, rules, guns, etc. Polespears are fun and an inexpensive way to get into the sport $30 for a 7 foot fiberglass with paralyzer tip. Larger fish require a slip-tip. We also have polespear tournaments. Check SpearBoard California section. Oh, Channel Islands, UK not CA. DeeperBlue may also be a good source for your area.

find someone in your local area that is willing to let you tag along and show you the ropes...start off at your local dive shop...if you take a class you'll not only learn, but you'll meet new people that will be willing to help you and give you hands on experience and you'll probably make some friends at the same skill level as you, so you'll have some new dive buddies...win,win...

Classes give you a variety of equipment and techniques to use. Start with a pole spear to learn aiming and size judgement. Once you get good at hitting your target with the pole spear, move up to a speargun. Try out different sizes that let you see which one is more comfortable to you to use. Always keep practicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom