Stationed at: Redstone Arsenal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All, I am normally stationed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama and would like to see how many other people are in that area. I am currently in Tampa, FL, but will be back to Huntsville no later than then end of June. Any dive buddies out there?

Firebrand:
All, I am normally stationed at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama and would like to see how many other people are in that area. I am currently in Tampa, FL, but will be back to Huntsville no later than then end of June. Any dive buddies out there?

Getting ready to PCS soon, got any slots open?

neophytediver:
Living in Huntsville and I dive whenever possible. I know the quarry blindfolded.

Congratulations on "getting hitched!" I'll have to contact you when I get back. Are you a member of SEAS? I've already found a guy who works on the arsenal and is a member of SB. Mike_S is his profile. Do you work on the arsenal as well? If not, what do you do?

Not a member of SEAS, but I know a couple. Worked at USSRC in the UAT for a while, but no longer (politics, etc., long story). Work for Delta Air Lines in reservations. Former Infantryman.

I was stationed at the Arsenal in the early-mid 80's then stayed on for a little education at UAH. I am going to be in the area around July and would love to bring my gear. If you have a problem with the 291st PM me I have connections. Of the troops......

ScubaNorth:
I was stationed at the Arsenal in the early-mid 80's then stayed on for a little education at UAH. I am going to be in the area around July and would love to bring my gear.

Since you're brining you gear.... the "big" (or not so big) local place to dive is the Madison Aquatic Park (a.k.a. Madison Quarry and Rock Divers, who nperates the quarry for the city).

You can do a preview at http://www.rockdivers.com
The basic summary is that it's around 45 feet deep (+/-) and has about 8 acres underwater. Underwater items include a chevy S-10 pickup and boat trailer, several runabouts, 2 house boats which are gutted and easily penetrated by anyone, a Minuteman Missile (yes that's what I said), a F4 fighter, several other donated items from NASA such as a large tube made up a mock observatory, a rock crusher, a bridge span, plus a few other items. They got a firetruck and a bus which I think they have sunk (but no 100% sure)

The nice thing about them is that they are local, moderately priced ($17 or $18 admission) and you can park right at the edge of the quarry (if you get there early enough). Vis can get pretty bad sometimes, especially right after a rain or if there are lots of student classes there. Many people bring a sun tent/shelter and a grill and stay all day. There was an artilce in Dive Training Mag a few months ago. here it is http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/MadisonAquaticParkAL.html

There is another quarry in Moultan that is open again. The facilities were very limited there. It's a little smaller and shallower overall and doesn't have as many items sunk. They do have a sailboat with mast/sail up and a greyhound type bus.

Of course Marthas Quarry is 2 hrs north near Nashville and Bluewater is almost 2 hrs sounth below Birmingham if you want more quarry diving. Glencoe is about 2 hrs SE near Gasden also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom