Staying at the Plaza in Bonaire in June..ANY suggestions ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bw5then

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Bonaire in June. The 15th-22nd. Other than our boat dives, would like to get some opinions on some of the best shore dive sites. They all seem to be great from the research that i've done but, would like to get the most i can get out of this trip.

I've never dove the Hooker wreck but it's certainly popular. Angel City is a double reef just south of it. Watch for holes in the ironshore in the surfline - at AC they're common. Alice in Wonderland the next site down is also a good dive.

Salt Pier is one not to miss. Invisibles slightly south of it was another good dive. The sites down towards the lighthouse are also good but most are advanced. Mostly due to currents - we were caught in one once at Vista Blue that was bending the fans/soft corals over flat. My buddy thought it was the best south side dive we did all week.

North of town is Bari Reef. Between Den Laman/Sand Dollar condos. Most counted species of fish in the Caribbean. You can do a REEF fishcount thru Bonaire Dive/Adventure there also. We liked Cliff north of it. You can either pay $5 at Habitat to use their facilities or take the next left past Habitat - there's a small parking area outside of Hamlet Oasis. Cliff is about the only vertical wall easily accessible from shore. Look for the memorial on top of the wall.

1000Steps if you want to walk down 64 rock steps - and back up with gear... Karpata is one of the best.

You can see some of them here: http://www.bonairepanoramas.com/underwater.html

Boat dives - ask for Rappel. Forest off Klein is a lot of black coral at about 70'.

hth,

Hilma Hooker is a 'signature' dive. Fin around to the far side of it, as you're more likely to see tarpon or barracuda there in my experience.

1,000 Steps is a northern site with a scenic 60 something stone step stairway that makes for nice pics, & is a good dive.

Past that, the road is one way & commits you to a long drive around to get back. Karpata is liked by many, and Tolo (a.k.a. Ol'Blue) is another site on that stretch that's a decently easy entry & a good dive.

Oil Slick Leap is nice site, reef very near shore, with a nice giant stride (maybe a 6'+ drop?) that's another 'signature' Bonaire dive. Plus I see neat creatures here fairly often. Be sure the ladder is there; you have to have it to get out.

Andrea I & II are generally good dives with easy entry.

The Cliff has a small wall, fairly shallow, and is largely unique there.

Bari Reef has a rep. for high species diversity. I dove it; good dive, but can't say it was head & shoulders above others on Bonaire. Not a bad one to be able to say you've done, though. The yellow rock & road to it are on a 'round-a-about,'

I like Windsock for easy entry & exit near the large pier, which is also useful to know your exit when coming out on night dives.

Sweet Dreams is a far southern site with a particularly lush reef, that reminds me of Karpata.

That's 11 sites. If you do boat dives, too, you may find these are enough. But there are others people really like - Angel City, Red Beryl, etc...

Richard.

Thanks very much, i will put these on my to dive list. Cant wait to get there

Karpata
Tolos
Margate Bay
Salt Pier
Bari (night too)
The Cliff
Invisibles
Oil Slick
1000 Steps

IMO, Hilma Hooker was a disappointment but that's just me. I did like the double reef there.

Enjoy!

Why folks dive the Hooker is rather beyond me. Unless the double reef is the destination, it is an ordinary dive with a wreck. If underwater steel is your thing, go for it! If not, perhaps you would prefer to dive elsewhere and avoid up to 30 other divers there at the same time.

I count the number of dive trucks parked at the Hooker site every time I drive past it. My record count is 12. IMHO, there are just too many good dives on Bonaire to put up with the crowds at the Hilma Hooker. If you want do dive crowd-less, try it on a Saturday AM (if you can) when most visitors are on their way back home or have not yet done the obligatory arrival check-out dive.

Staying at the Plaza in Bonaire in June..ANY suggestions ????
The Tuesday night BBQ at Coconut Crash is worth it...

I've yet to be inconvenienced by a crowd at the Hooker. If it looks busy, dive Angel City or Alice in Wonderland nearby and come back in a couple of hours.

Richard.

I was a little disappointed by the Hooker and I'm a wreck guy.

Jeff Davis- know for turtles and we swam with 3
18 palms-only accesible by boat and we say 6' barracudas, bait ball, and big Manta
Something Special-Can be a little less visibilty because of its location but tons of cool stuff to see
Oil Slick Leap- was fun but not a very big drop
A trip up north to the Park is nice to experience and we had two good dives there.

18 palms only accesible by boat and we say 6' barracudas, bait ball, and big Manta
Not really...

18 Palms is the Plaza house reef. You walk in off the beach. They even stage tanks there for guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom