Staying East End Cayman - dive somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmentia

Reaction score
We will be staying at Morritt's in February. We usually dive with Cayman Dive Lodge, but since the hurricane they have not been rebuilt yet. We've also dived with Ocean Frontiers, but they are booked the week we are there. And Tortuga will not have the docks (they don't think) and therefore may not have any place for us to store stuff rather than us lugging it around each day.

So the question is: Are there any operators that logistically we could dive with in the mornings somewhere "near" the east end, as we are not interested in afternoon dives. And secondarily, if there are operators near enough, are they recommended?

Thanks,
Gary

It seems like there is a Red Sail Sports operation in the Rum Point area. Check the Cayman websites for more info. http://www.divecayman.ky/ I'm sure Drew, CaymanCase or others from GC will help provide other options. Have a fantastic trip! We will be there at Thanksgiving.

dmentia:
We will be staying at Morritt's in February. We usually dive with Cayman Dive Lodge, but since the hurricane they have not been rebuilt yet. We've also dived with Ocean Frontiers, but they are booked the week we are there. And Tortuga will not have the docks (they don't think) and therefore may not have any place for us to store stuff rather than us lugging it around each day.

So the question is: Are there any operators that logistically we could dive with in the mornings somewhere "near" the east end, as we are not interested in afternoon dives. And secondarily, if there are operators near enough, are they recommended?

Thanks,
Gary

I'm sorry to hear that the docks are not yet rebuilt. Please give the Board an update on Morrit's when you return. I do not have any suggestions as to other alternatives. When staying at Morrit's I always dove with Tortuga Divers and once with Frontier. I have really missed going to GC.

Tough one - those 2 are the only options on the east end. I suppose heading to Rum Point is somewhat shorter than going to someplace south of Georgetown like Sunset House, but it's still a haul. Some of the ops take people to a marina at the southern end of North sound for their North wall trips, perhaps you could manage to hook up with those trips and just go straight to the dock. Still not close, but might be a little better then going all the way to Georgetown, and maybe less traffic in the am (not sure about that part.)

I think I'd bite the bullet and lug my gear around.

Tortuga divers have never rented tanks for shore diving. I have rented tanks from Ocean Frontiers for shore diving on several occasions. When we were there last year though the guy at the desk told us "We are reconsidering our poicy on renting out tanks for shore diving,you are lucky to get any tanks at all" !!

I hope to get tanks from OF in the future,but I am going to get it in writing from them that they will rent out tanks,before I leave the US !

I think they are concerned about liability/accidents. The shore diving on the East End (actually North East) is awesome but is not for beginners. Also a staff member of OF died on a solo rebreather dive off the N.E. coast a few years ago.

Surely they get you to sign a full & comprehensive waiver.

Agree the NSide shore diving is spectacular. We will be shore diving Babylon tonight at 7 p.m.

nipi:
Surely they get you to sign a full & comprehensive waiver.

Agree the NSide shore diving is spectacular. We will be shore diving Babylon tonight at 7 p.m.

You are making me EXTREMELY envious!!!!! Babylon is one of my all time favorite dives.

I think part of the problem was that a buddy and myself were planning on diving independant doubles and Ocean Frontiers is a GUE facility......................was not well received. We were staying in Old Man Bay and as they would only rent one tank per person ended up doing a lot of driving back and forth to OF between dives to swap out tanks. They lightened up after a day or two but it left a bad taste.

The official reason was that they have had problems with people not returning tanks. Would seem easy to get round that with a Credit Card deposit for $200/tank (or whatever a tank costs on Cayman)

Enjoy Babylon !

Some places here are particularly anal about renting tanks until they get to know you. Eden Rock are a particular pain. In the past would not rent a single tank to a single diver even if his buddy was standing outside the shop with his own tank kitted up and ready to go.

It is one of the WNDC (Weds. Night Dive Club) member's 500th dives tonight so Babylon is his request - followed by curry goat at Over the Edge & copious amounts of Red Stripe at Nicho Norte, Everglo & Country & Western en route home. Hope the rain stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom