Staying near Pennekamp - Diving with Conch Republic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning to stay near the Pennekamp Park area in Key Largo. I just wanted to make sure before I booked it if the 11.5 mile drive to Conch Republic's dive shop from Pennekamp was feasible? I've never been to Key Largo, but I'm assuming it's likely one road all the way down. I just don't want to have a very long (time was) drive to dive.

We would be diving at 1:00 every day.

Thanks!

Will be diving with CR Jan 7-9. Staying in the same town as CR, not Key Largo. 12 miles would be close in my book.

I am planning to stay near the Pennekamp Park area in Key Largo. I just wanted to make sure before I booked it if the 11.5 mile drive to Conch Republic's dive shop from Pennekamp was feasible? I've never been to Key Largo, but I'm assuming it's likely one road all the way down. I just don't want to have a very long (time was) drive to dive.

We would be diving at 1:00 every day.

Thanks!
You should be OK - some of your trip is 4 lane (rare in the Keys) but keep in mind 2 lane or four, there is only one road in and one out - you don't have a "route B" so if there is an accident, or some kind of traffic tie up, it can be the longest eleven miles ever.

But I would not sweat it; many stay in KL and dive w/ Conch Republic - I would not change your lodging plans but I would leave enough time for the trip, like 35 - 45 min's just to be on the safe side, especially during holiday time periods.

as the others have said, it's doable. Often times when I dive with Conch Republic I stay in Key Largo. If this is your first time diving with them, they run a great shop.

I stayed at the Marriott and drove to CRD every morning. I always allowed 30 minutes for the drive but in usually took about 15 -20. CRD was very nice.

You could also look at Silent World in Key Largo. Their shop and dock are right by the park (maybe a mile away at most) and they have great package deals.

Silent World's shop = MM105.9 bayside
Silent World's boats = 58 Garden Cove Drive, 1 mile north of the shop according to Google maps, oceanside
Pennekamp Park = MM102.6 oceanside

So, not "a mile at most" but more than four miles. Still, he wasn't asking about other charters, he was asking how do-able it is to get to CRD from Pennekamp area. Very do-able, just leave early.

I stayed at Amy Slate's and dove with CR whenever I wanted to get on the Duane or Spiegel. They were more reliable for those trips. Allowed a half hour for the drive and as was already noted made it in 15-20. And well worth the drive.

Agree that Gary and Brenda are top notch. #1 dive buddy Andrea and I dove with them several years ago and had a great time. We drove down from Miami (although we were a bit late due to my confusion re: departure time, Brenda held the boat).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom