Stealth Fighter Nose-Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lil' Irish Temper:
Hey, what's this button for? Whoops. . . . :D

Let's blame it on Mikey he's not here today......

hey, any landing you can walk away from ....

:wink:

it would even qualify as a great landing (you can use the plane again)

H2Andy:
hey, any landing you can walk away from ....

:wink:

it would even qualify as a great landing (you can use the plane again)

Gotta love the Air Force, hours and hours of fun, but when something screws up it's big $$.

Looks like a failure of the nose gear to lower. If I recall right, the nose gear on the 117 retracts forward instead of backward. It makes it less likely to collapse on landing that way unless it didn't make it all the way down and locked.

Nose gear collapses don't cause as much damage as main gear collapses since the pilot is able to set the nose down at a slower speed and typically roll/slide in a fairly forward dirction depending on the attitude at nose touch down.

A note. On an aircraft that carries external stores, the pilot would jettison the munitions to ensure no untimely detonation during the skid. The 117 carries it's payload internally. If he knew it was coming, I wonder if he jettisoned the carriage or not? That might cause a stir in the SARs community depending on what they were going off to recover. :D

Damn, I thought those things had reverse engineered anti-gravity technology in them and that couldn't happen...

...someone must have been using a mobile phone during the flight.

Does anyone know when and where did this happened? Holloman?

Ouch .... looks like that wobbly goblin has lost its groove.

You poor clueless people! That is the new version of the 117 - the Kneelin' Goblin. The Air Force is complying with the Americans With Disabilities Act and retrofitted a Stealth for handicapped access.
Once the pilot is in the cockpit, everything folds back up, the aircraft straightens up, and she's ready to roll.

Hey there Lil Irish Temper. So where did you find this photograph? One impressive piece of machinery! Must be fun to fly one of those, but I can hardly imagine how much it would suck to crash one! One high buck plane!

Take care and happy diving,
Matt

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom