Steel Pointer Stick/Tank Banger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found it! They're commonly referred to as "Muck Sticks" (and sometimes, "reef sticks"). There are even a few threads here on SB about them (esp. in the Indonesia/Lembeh forums). Finally I have something to search for...

Glad you found the name....I saw those on either on LP or ST sometime I think in 06....does not seem to be on either site anymore....I have always seen those for sale either in Indonesia or Malaysia for around $10 to $15....do you have any trips planned for those areas?

Glad you found the name....I saw those on either on LP or ST sometime I think in 06....does not seem to be on either site anymore....I have always seen those for sale either in Indonesia or Malaysia for around $10 to $15....do you have any trips planned for those areas?

Only in my dreams. Thailand was my big trip for 2008. 2009 is still being negotiated with my other half... and diving is not her priority. :(

I actually did find a local company that makes them, although without the built-in shaker: Reed's Rods A little pricey, but not too horrible in the grand scheme of things.

I bet you had to go thru a few pages to find that...LOL.....Looks like a good source. here is another site that carries them Gadgets : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

2009 go to Lembeh and Papua....you can use your Muck stick there.

I bet you had to go thru a few pages to find that...LOL.....Looks like a good source. here is another site that carries them Gadgets : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

2009 go to Lembeh and Papua....you can use your Muck stick there.

Thanks for the link... I didn't realize Reef Photo carried them. I think I like the Reeds Rods better, though. Stainless steel is less likely to bend than weak aluminum, and will work better than the fiberglass one as a tank banger. (Plus under pressure SS can bend and then [usually] be bent back, unlike the fiberglass which would just snap) Using one as a sand anchor in a wicked current can put a LOT of strain on it.

Lembeh is absurdly high on my list, but unless I can get my wife diving, I don't see her being too interested in the topside offerings. Thailand was a great middle ground.

Actually there is a lot to do in Monodo/Lembeh. Lots of land tours and nice places to stay and you could take her to Singapore to break the bank...LOL....Papua very remote...but the Diving....Wow. If you ever need info let me know...I'm headed back in October!

I have a steel stick and there have been many times I have had that stuck between rocks holding on in a ripping current.....I could see a fiberglass stick snapping or aluminum bending....never thought of looking on a photo site for those. But I guess it makes since.

I'd just point out that the very act of carrying a "pointer stick" places one in a frame of mind that you're going to touch something. Whether it's dead coral, sand, live coral...the only use it generally has is touching things.

Some folks make the leap from using it to touch only dead stuff, to using it to herd and move living stuff. Usually to pose them just right for that perfect photo.

It's a crutch. Anyone with good bouyancy control doesn't need one.

I've heard all the arguments - "it has less contact area, so there's less damage" - but I've usually seen more damage from their indiscriminate use than would be caused by an ungloved fingertip.

It's like the no-glove rule. Folks that get indignant about the no-glove rule are usually the ones that put their hands all over everything, and the divers with good bouyancy control, that never touch anything anyway, could care less about the no-gloves rule.

Of course, like everything in the water, there's no hard and fast rule about everything, and there are some applications for the pointer stick....just pointing out (no pun intended) that most folks, with a pointer in their hand, turn into pogo sticks underwater, bouncing their way across the bottom.

All the best, James

For the record, my intended use is more as a pointing stick (look at that!) and tank banger than touch stick, but I do know how to properly use such a tool. Neither of those uses actually involve touching anything.

I may not be Tech 1, but my GUE-F tech pass says my buoyancy control is not really at issue here.

And finally, I don't care HOW good your buoyancy control is. To say that "anyone with good buoyancy control doesn't need one" is a dramatic over-simplification. A strong current (drift diving in Thailand, for instance) or strong surge is going to move you around, no matter how neutral and trimmed out you are. Careful use of a tool like this can help hold you still to get a shot, without damage to anything living. IMO, this tool's only "touch" application involves dead rock or sand, never something living (and NEVER fragile coral, dead or otherwise). If there's no safe place to put the rod, then you move on to the next photo opportunity.

Any tool has the potential for abuse or mis-use. But I don't appreciate any implication in MY thread that I might be headed that way.

Any tool has the potential for abuse or mis-use. But I don't appreciate any implication in MY thread that I might be headed that way.
Nor was I trying to imply that your skillz were an issue! Sheesh. Nothing but respect here.

And finally, I don't care HOW good your buoyancy control is. To say that "anyone with good buoyancy control doesn't need one" is a dramatic over-simplification. A strong current (drift diving in Thailand, for instance) or strong surge is going to move you around, no matter how neutral and trimmed out you are. Careful use of a tool like this can help hold you still to get a shot, without damage to anything living. IMO, this tool's only "touch" application involves dead rock or sand, never something living (and NEVER fragile coral, dead or otherwise). If there's no safe place to put the rod, then you move on to the next photo opportunity.
As I said...
Of course, like everything in the water, there's no hard and fast rule about everything, and there are some applications for the pointer stick....

Just pointing out the way it tends to be used, not pointing fingers.

All the best, James

My guide in Lembeh carried two, one was about 12" the other 24". He would do an interesting trick after finding a manta shrimp hole. After first pushing a small piece of rock or dead coral down the hole, and then pushing the longer rod several inches into the sand close the hole, would tap the two steel sticks together with a regular rhythm. After 10-15 seconds, up pops the manta shrimp to check out the disturbance, providing a good photo op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom