Steel scubapro 95 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@halocline I don't know any lds's that pre-vip the tanks before bringing them to hydro, and certainly not any that tumble/whip before they go out. They usually do it afterwards since the tanks are filled with water during hydro and there will be flash rust that shows up afterwards

Ok so looking for a Ree stamp and I find nothing.

Here are the markings on Tank 1

DOT-3AA 2400-87/9083/ 174 M8303 FABER ITALY 07 ^ 87 +

Hydro stamps appear as
8 A7 92

2 B4 97

3 A7 02

Pretty similar on tank 2.

Sorry I'll try to make this the last post of the night, doing some research I found this on SB in an old thread

"If you get a look at the cylinder, give it a good look. If it is galvanized, great! No scratches are permitted in thegalvanized coating, no rust.
Look for rust all over, especially at the neck where the valve joins the bottle. Make sure the bottle and valve are not loose. Make sure that there are not any stickers or bands that impede your ability to inspect for rust. If the tank is painted, make sure that none of the paint is bubbled up. Be wary of anything that can hide rust- look under everything"

The part that worry me is "no scratches premitted in the galvanizing coat"

On one of the tanks I found this

Should I be worried??
I was always taught that if it's too good to be true then it probably is, not sure why I thought this would be any different lol

I would not be worried about the streaks on the tank. Take the boots off if you haven't yet and check at the bottom of the tank. What's strange to me is that the tank looks like it's galvanized, but I didn't think that faber made hot dipped galvanized tanks back then. (They do now) Go figure. If it is a galvanized tank, that makes it even more desirable, although the faber painting process has proven to be very durable on their epoxy coated tanks.

Sweet! That's good news at least. The other doesn't show any signs of streaking like this, it's nice and smooth. I will see about having them hydroed sometime today or maybe later this week.

I never found any REE stamp on either tank. How do I go about having them plus rated when hydroed?

you can't plus rate them if they don't have the REE. the vast majority of tanks don't get their + rating back not because they don't pass, but because the hydro shops don't have access to the REE's. Faber started stamping them on the neck relatively recently, but there is at least 3 ree's that I am aware of for LP95's from Faber, so I'm not sure what the actual number is for those. Odds are the shops won't pay attention to it though and will fill to 2700 or so. Quite a few will just fill to 3000 if they aren't paying attention. Pays to befriend the guy at the fill station

So is there anyway way to get the REE number maybe from faber by giving them the serial number or something? I wouldn't mind emailing them to find out if it's possible.

you can try, they should have it all, but whether or not they give it to you, i'm not sure. I've never tried since I have my own fill station and access to plenty that will fill my LP bottles to 4000psi if I want to

$ 60.00 a pop for Faber LP 95's ? Can I get two ? That's a great deal. Being stored w/ that much pressure - sight unseen I'm nowhere near as concerned about them needing to be tumbled. I would wager that they'll pass hydro w/ no problems. You scored a great deal. Let us know the final outcome. Don't get too lost in the DOT hieroglyphics of the tanks, the fill rating on the neck, if they do or don't have a + mark, the REE numbers just yet. Just see if they pass hydro. I have two Faber 95 myself and love them. Never go back to aluminum unless I'm diving in the tropics or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom