Steel scubapro 95 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@halocline I don't know any lds's that pre-vip the tanks before bringing them to hydro, and certainly not any that tumble/whip before they go out. They usually do it afterwards since the tanks are filled with water during hydro and there will be flash rust that shows up afterwards

The two LDSs I use perform the VIP after getting the cylinder back from hydro, but they also perform a brief inspection before sending it away. That way, if it is a complete disaster, the customer doesn't have to pay anything.

Just an update for everyone. Finally got a reply back from faber and dropped the tanks off at the hydro facility. Received a call today saying that they would be ready for pick up this afternoon and unfortunately one of the tanks failed, specifically the one that I posted pictures of the lines down the side, and they used the lines as the reason. They said it failed the visual inspection because of that and I'm guessing they never actually hydroed it. Kinda of a bummer but it's oh well, one is better than none. :)

Another galvanized cylinder taken out of service by an uninformed hydro shop for no good reason. The galvanizing was that way when it was manufactured, and the irregularities in the galvanizing have nothing to do with the strength of the cylinder wall.

Just an update for everyone. Finally got a reply back from faber and dropped the tanks off at the hydro facility. Received a call today saying that they would be ready for pick up this afternoon and unfortunately one of the tanks failed, specifically the one that I posted pictures of the lines down the side, and they used the lines as the reason. They said it failed the visual inspection because of that and I'm guessing they never actually hydroed it. Kinda of a bummer but it's oh well, one is better than none. :)
Did the dive shop or the hydro shop fail it? If the dive shop, it might be worth getting a second opinion somewhere. If the hydro shop, they might have drilled it or something in order to condemn the tank.

It's hard to tell what's what in photos, but my hot dip galvanized steel tanks have similar markings. Mine just passed vip/hydro (and got the + rating) about two months ago. The LDS said it would be pretty easy to clean that off with only minor effort if I wanted, but I didn't bother.

20170727_150804.jpg

Did the dive shop or the hydro shop fail it? If the dive shop, it might be worth getting a second opinion somewhere. If the hydro shop, they might have drilled it or something in order to condemn the tank.

I never actually took them to my LDS for two reasons, 1)I didn't want to invest anymore than I had to in tanks that may not pass hydro(I was worried because they were so old and 15 years since last hydro) 2) my LDS moves slow and often the employees are clueless. It takes over a week just for a visual inspection and I was wanting to use these next weekend on a trip I have planned.

Should I be upset that the hydro place charged me full price for the hydro even tho it was never actually performed? I questioned whether it was actually hydroed and they said it was on its way down into the chamber when they noticed the "defect". This makes me think maybe it wasn't actually inspected visually on the inside and out but I could be wrong, just seems they would have noticed the marking before lowering it into the chamber if done correctly.

I also ran my finger around the inside of the tank that passed to see if it as dry and I had light rust on my finger, is that a worry anyone would have or is that normal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom