Steel tank Wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisscuba once bubbled...
If you are really having a problem with it you can do what we did before we had BCD's. We would use a drop weight. Weights with a clip hook on them attached t a ring or a weight in hand. When we got to the bottom of the achor line, our suits and body fat compressed making us neg heavy. We would leave the weights at the anchor line and retreive them on our wway back to the surface
What would you have done in the event you couldn't make it back to the anchor line? Did you have a contingency plan?

I don't mean to be rude, but I think this is one of those things that have become part of scuba history. A lot of things were done (like milk jugs for BC's) that we would consider unsafe nowadays. I find it fascinating to read about them, though, thanks for sharing.

Pick up some rocks

We all don't look like cosmonauts when we dive

Krisscuba once bubbled...
Pick up some rocks

We all don't look like cosmonauts when we dive
I've been there before...I hate having to use that rock trick...

It was one of those dives that just got worse and worse. In the end I had a small deco obligation (this was WAY before I had learned anything about tech diving) and realized that I wasn't sure if my rig was balanced. I went back to the bottom, grabbed a large rock, and held on to it for the ascent and the deco (only a few minutes, really). After I was done, at 10 fsw, I let go the rock because I just wanted to know for sure...turns out I would have been fine.

Still, not something I would care to repeat.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
It was one of those dives that just got worse and worse. In the end I had a small deco obligation (this was WAY before I had learned anything about tech diving) and realized that I wasn't sure if my rig was balanced. I went back to the bottom, grabbed a large rock, and held on to it for the ascent and the deco (only a few minutes, really). After I was done, at 10 fsw, I let go the rock because I just wanted to know for sure...turns out I would have been fine.

Still, not something I would care to repeat.
Pretty new to drysuit, underestimated weighting, ended up too light...

In my case I had added a couple things to my rig, which changed the weighting slightly. It was a planned no deco dive... so I wasn't too worried, I figured I'd to the weight test at the end. We anchored in a small cove, in about 80 fsw. We swam towards the shallow end, and of course the NDL time was huge something like 99 mn when we were in 30 ft or so. The problem appeared when we turned around and swam back out the cove towards the anchor...at some point my computer just went from 10 mn of NDL time to 2 mn deco, and now we were in 80 ft and couldn't find the anchor.

This was back in the days of unmitigated stupidity, I would strap on a computer and just jump in the water and trust my life to it. Never occured to me that it could be wrong or fail in some non-obvious way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom