Steel tanks made pre 1990

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueLionPiper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got 3 steel 72s made pre 1990 and we're getting ready to head to FL. I new that FL was weird about older tanks that were made of ALU (it's not really a metal anyway) but a shop down there told me they won't fill ANY tank made pre 1990, regardless of material, manufacturer or testing done on the tank to show it's passed Hydro and VIP.

Is this a law and if so specifically which one?
Or is this just a shop policy?

thanks!

Some steel tanks are produced under a special DOT permit/waiver that needs to be renewed at time intervals. With out the actual tank markings on your 72's we wouldn't be able to verify. If not on a DOT permit, a steel tank can be refilled as long as it passes hydro & inspection. But just like a tavern, each shop reserves the right to refuse service to any customer for any reason.

agreed, i'm not looking to start something with this shop, just wondering if I should just look for another shop to fill these tanks or if the whole state can't fill it. I'm in Virgina which says we can fill any tank as long as it has a DOT serial and uptodate Hydro and VIS.

Any Steel tank with a valid hydro can be used

Last edited:
I think ALL my tanks are pre-1990 steel tanks, some back to the 60's. 72's and 90-95's. I had also heard this about florida. I contacted the dive shops where I was headed (panama city area) and they did not have any issues with the tanks - in fact they gave me a generous fill on several of them. If the shop is so uneducated that they draw a line and won't fill pre-1990 tanks, then I would find a new shop. Due to ignorance (or laziness) at my local shops I was forced to look around to find a shop that actually worked to understand the gear we dive with (tanks and regulators) - I did fine one!... Keep searching, there are lots of dive shops in florida, I would expect in any given area there is at least one that actually understands the life sustaining gear used and is not just out to sell the newest shiny profit margin gear.

I would find another shop if they aren’t smart enough to know the 1990 figure concerns only 6351 aluminum tanks

Years ago a shop in the Keys that had a sign that said something to the affect of "no tanks made before 1990 will be filled."

We were signed up for a dive with them using their cylinders so it had no impact. In the end their boat had troubles so no diving. But we decided to find another shop for our diving later in the week. I would suggest the OP do the same as there is no law preventing a steel cylinder with a valid hydro from being filled. Only ignorance and shop rules.

I agree with Bob... look for another shop. I have steel tanks from the 60s and aluminum tanks from the mid-70s. The former still pass hydro and VIP although I use them sparingly (and the Al tanks look as clean inside as the day they left the store). While a shop has a right to restrict fills, it should be based on legitimate grounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom