Steel Tanks with DIN Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBill1955

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I can pick up a pair of Sherwood Steel 100 cf for $125 for both
They will need to by Hydro'd and Visual. Also the valves are Din Valves. I have steel tanks now which have the yoke valves. So I'll have to get new valves. I believe the valves are around $50 each. Should I get the tanks? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Yes and dont get new valves. Yoke valves will be a thing of the past, mark my words.

If you own a yoke reg you might get lucky enough that these valves are 200 bar DIN, in which case you need only buy 2 little donut looking things to thread into the valves and they instantly become yoke valves.

if you buy new valves get 200 bar pro style so you can use either a DIN or a yoke reg on them.

If you dont buy them send me a link and I will...

If they are Sherwoods and need of a hydro, they may be the older 3500 psi tanks that do not have convertible valves. In addition, the thread size is different, so you can't put a convertible valve on it.

Price is excellent. I bought my last couple for ~$100/ea, and that was a special deal. One thing to watch out for is that these can sometimes have pitting inside, which may or may not allow it to pass a visual. For the price, I would risk it or see if you can buy conditional upon passing visual.

If they are the 300 bar DIN valves, you will have to switch your regs over to DIN or use a DIN/yoke adapter.

John

Yoke valves will be a thing of the past, mark my words.

That will never happen for a very good reason.

A large fleet of rental DIN tanks in the Caribbean would be a disaster. Corrosion, sand, and general abuse ruins a DIN valve threads like you can’t imagine.

DIN fittings is OK on the hands of a careful tech diver or a careful diver that owns both the tank and regulator, but the yoke fittings can handle a lot more abuse and still function.

I started using DIN Scuba fittings before they were called DIN… almost 40 years ago. They were not being used here in the US back then (I was in Puerto Rico at the time). I now prefer a yoke fitting for most types of diving. You will see the reason why if you try to keep your gear for 10 or 20 years of heavy use (in fresh water it may take a bit longer).

As mentioned above (by giles45shop), some HP steel tanks have a 7/8” neck threads and no yoke valve are available for them. This link will explain the difference in neck and valve fittings:
SCUBA Valves: Regulator Fittings, 200 vs 300 Bar FAQ and Cylinder Neck Threads - Dive Gear Express

The 7/8” neck has a smaller opening and a bit of a pain to service if there is corrosion inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom