Stiches & Dive'N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Who's dove with stitches before and was it a problem? I have't talked with me doctor yet and I will do exactly what he says but I'm wondering what he we'll say. I have to minor procedures coming up in the next 2 weeks. 1 will leave about 11 stitches in my big fat head and the other will leave a stitch or two in my chest. I'm diving dry the first weekend of Nov. dry hood and all, but I'm guessing there is a chance of infection if they get wet. Of course if I still have stitches and the doctor says NO then I'll just camp and have a hellavu time anyway!

My doctors have always made me wait until the stiches are out before going back in the water

You have to look at the cost to benefit ratio here. Is there any reason you can’t wait a few days? Stitches penetrate the full thickness of the skin and provide a route for infection to enter your body. The stitches themselves when wet will actually conduct water, along with other foreign matter, down their length and under your skin. There are adhesives, such as Dermabond, that can be used in place of stitches to hold opposing tissue surfaces together in some cases. In a pinch they can be applied over stitches for a waterproof or airtight seal. There are also waterproof dressings that can be used. Opsite or Tegaderm is a clear membrane that can be applied over a wound. Their adherence is greatly increased if the skin is prepped with tincture of benzoin. Both the dressing and Dermabond can be combined for increased water resistance. Prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotic use could add further protection in a high risk environment. Drysuits create internal conditions perfect for bacterial growth and should not be seen as a barrier to infection. There are waterproof rubber socks a limb can be vacuum packed in for diving with a cast or dressing such as the Xerosock but this is of no use to you. However in your case the scalp is not conducive to any of these products. Any medical professional is going to tell you to wait even if it is very minor. The scalps rich blood supply makes it very resistant to infection but if an infection does occur there are a number of very sensitive structures close by that it could easily spread to. You could be blinded, cosmetically injured or even die. If there is some reason you can’t wait then the extra expense and risk may be justifiable to you. Every case is different and you need to discuss your case with your doctor. If he/she says no but you are going to do it anyway then let your MD or DO know your intentions. While they may not support your decision they can still provide you with tool’s to aid you on your quest.
:doctor:

I'm just used to diving on a weekly basis all my life. Back on April 28 I was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer is GONE now and I'm in remission and I just want to get wet. It was April 24 the last time I got wet and that was in the Ohio River up in Cincinatti on a project (Yuck). I'll just wait till the stitches come out or do what the doc. says. I don't mind camping with a few folks anyway.

I had 300 stiches internal and external in january I was told not to dive that was partly from an infection point of view and partly because of the implications of not being able to use my arm properly to shut off valves.

You may also like to think about the implications of off gassing with swolen tissues there is a posibility that you have a higher risk of getting DCI

just my experiences.

DD:)

Dangerous Diver once bubbled...

You may also like to think about the implications of off gassing with swolen tissues there is a posibility that you have a higher risk of getting DCI

just my experiences.

DD:)

I never even thought of that. That could be painful. Thankyou very much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom