stiff wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BullseyePaintball

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought an old wet suit and it fits a little tight but is really stiff and the hood chokes me a little. Is there any thing that can be done to give it a little more life untill i can afford a new one.

This should work...
Soak it in the tub with warm water and baby shampoo or something similar, agitate it well. This gets any sand and salt out of it.
Let it soak over night...agitate again...rinse or spray it off with a hose...Hang it up and let it dry.

I did this to a neoprene dry suit that had been rolled up for 12 years. It looked and felt like cardboard. I was very surprised at how well it worked out.

Good luck,
U/O

Thanks, I'll give it a try. This suit is a little over 10 years old too. Im just hoping to freshin it up a little and get a year or so out of it to save up for one that fits. Any thing to help it move easier will help. I've worn it twice and I dont think its ever been used in salt water.

Sometimes gear that is used in fresh water doesn't get rinsed as well as salt water gear. People tend to forget that not only salt is hard on your gear...its the sand.
Good luck, let me know if it works...I've only done it once, would like to see if someone gets similar results.

U/O

I tried what you said and it did help, but the suit was still so stiff i could hardly bend my knees. I heard through some other conversations that armor all could help loosen it up. Since neoprene is a rubber compound it seems like it should work. If any one knows why I shouldn't let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna try it. I'll keep you posted on the out come. It can't hurt to try.

OK...so I sprayed the suit with Protect-All, a type of tire shine, and it worked pretty well. It hasnt helped with the shrinkage, but I put it on for the first time last night since trying this and it is more flexable. The stuff i used is not high gloss, and I have coated the entire out side of the just like you would a tire 4 or 5 times since my last post. The suit is easier to get on and off and moves much easier. If any one has any other in put post it up.

If the neck is tight you can try inflating a basket or volley ball in there. that can relax the neoprene a little and add some space.

It's not uncommon for used suits to be a little cantankerous for the first dive or 2 after a long dry off season. Soaking as mentioned to help release salts and minerals along with use are your best shots.

A little suit snot can help with the donning process.

Pete

If it doesn't fit, thats it. 1 bottle woolwash, hot that you can put your hand in, soak for a few days. Time may vary depending on when you remember it's soaking.

Back
Top Bottom