Wet suit fit for the short and plump ladies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buckeyeboys

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings,
My lady friend is short and plump and finding a wet suit that fits is impossible? Just getting back into diving and nothing fits. We rented suits that were a man's large that fit around her midsection but was way too long. We dove and had fun so I guess that worked. Bought a cheapo suit online that was a woman's large so it was tall and slender, a no go!
Any suggestions on getting something that fits? Not sure of the cost of a custom fit suit but we are strictly recreational divers and very infrequent ones at that. We are getting close to retirement so hopefully with more free time we can dive more. Also have some questions on BC's fits for women since she's using one of my old medium sized stab jackets.
Thanks in advance

How short and round is she? I”m 5’5” and plus sized myself. Henderson has suits that go up to larger sizes. On the size 20 I’m wearing in my avatar photo, the sleeves were a bit long, but I just rolled them back a bit. Legs were way long, so I chopped about 3” off the bottom. That’s a 5mm I wear in warmer water and when the air temps are hot In the summer (local lakes). I ordinarily dive dry.

Here. Is a link to the Henderson Thermoprene Pro suit I have, just in 3mm.

How short and round is she? I”m 5’5” and plus sized myself. Henderson has suits that go up to larger sizes. On the size 20 I’m wearing in my avatar photo, the sleeves were a bit long, but I just rolled them back a bit. Legs were way long, so I chopped about 3” off the bottom. That’s a 5mm I wear in warmer water and when the air temps are hot In the summer (local lakes). I ordinarily dive dry.

Here. Is a link to the Henderson Thermoprene Pro suit I have, just in 3mm.

Hi, She is 5'1" and always warm. Summer in Ohio we got by with 3mm suits and plan on travelling South more often. I will look into this Henderson, thanks

Wetsuits are hard to shop for when you're not lean and tall. It's especially harder if you're short. Depending on how much she wants to spend, Henderson can be pricey. I buy the off brands on Amazon for a much lower price than the big scuba name brands. As I've gotten older and have shoulder issues and there's a few more bumps and rolls around my body, I have gone to a two-piece wetsuit jacket and pants, and it's so much easier to put on and take off.

With Amazon, of course, she can buy, try, and send back for different sizes as often as she wants until she gets the right fit (or something close enough).

www.amazon.com/Seaskin-Shorty-Wetsuit-Womens-4X-Large/dp/B0B8HMH13Q/ref=sr_1_46?crid=2JIZ3J7WGFRFB&keywords=hevto%2Bwetsuit%2Bwomen&qid=1704691395&sprefix=hevto%2Bwe%2Caps%2C566&sr=8-46&th=1

www.amazon.com/Hevto-Wetsuits-Neoprene-Swimming-WP01-Black/dp/B0C61WNT43/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2JIZ3J7WGFRFB&keywords=hevto%2Bwetsuit%2Bwomen&qid=1704691187&sprefix=hevto%2Bwe%2Caps%2C566&sr=8-6&th=1

All the way with JMJ

With Amazon, of course, she can buy, try, and send back for different sizes as often as she wants until she gets the right fit (or something close enough).

not if you have a degree of decency

Yuck!

Not sure what that means, but it's not any different than trying clothes on in a department store dressing room.

In fact it's quite different. Wouldn't be if you paid shipping both ways.

JMJ is probably one of the most wallet friendly custom wetsuit options. And custom is the only reasonable way to go in this situation.

Definitely try Henderson. Greenprene if you care about the environment and are willing to spend a bit more money and Thermoprene Pro if you don’t. I am also short (5’1”) plump and curvy. Also always warm and have always dived in skins or a men’s shorty cause nothing fits! But Henderson have mastered stretch and comfort in both these wetsuit styles and they come in short lengths too! Because they are sooo stretchy she may wish to use the size chart and then go down a size. That’s what I was advised and what I did. Honestly. Hope you find a solution. Finding a wetsuit to fit has been the hardest thing about diving for me.

If a shorty is OK, then they are much more adjustable. That's why they are used at Disney's dive experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom