Still feeling the boat rocking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been back from diving in La Paz for 1 week now and still feel the rocking motion of the boat. (We were on the boat for 8+ hours a day, big swells & I was using the Scop. patch.) What exactly is the technical term/word for the sensation of feeling like your on a boat, when you're on land? I'm not naseaued, just primarily feel a light sensation of the boat rolling when sitting down. Does this pertain to equilibrum and the inner ears?

I believe this rocking sensation may have also caused me to experience vertigo last night during my night dive. Everything swirling left me rather disoriented and foggy (yep, thumbed the dive when the vertigo didn't clear).

Any ideas?

Lexy:
I've been back from diving in La Paz for 1 week now and still feel the rocking motion of the boat. (We were on the boat for 8+ hours a day, big swells & I was using the Scop. patch.) What exactly is the technical term/word for the sensation of feeling like your on a boat, when you're on land? I'm not naseaued, just primarily feel a light sensation of the boat rolling when sitting down. Does this pertain to equilibrum and the inner ears?

I believe this rocking sensation may have also caused me to experience vertigo last night during my night dive. Everything swirling left me rather disoriented and foggy (yep, thumbed the dive when the vertigo didn't clear).

Any ideas?

Just some of my experience in a similar venue: I purchased a 30' sailboat a few years back (alot like a travel trailer for the lake), and after spending the first few weekends on the boat I had similar feelings afterwards during the week. Lasted several days. Funny thing was that I didn't have any problems while on the boat, the problem was when I went back to the land and it felt like the land was moving around. It was so bad I was afraid I might not be able to keep the boat. Fortunately, I finally got used to it after a couple of months and I no longer experience that problem other than maybe occasionally and only in the slightest regard. Maybe my mind finally adjusted to there being two different kinds of "ground". Never went to the doctor and I didn't use any over the counter medications. I have always suspected I have inner ear balance problems, but I have not been diagnosed as such, and I manage fairly well in spite of a suspected ear problem (I just have to keep my eyes open for good balance). I can easily get disoriented underwater, but falling back to my eyes and mind can overcome that (I look at bubbles for orientation).

I love that feeling! ...laying in my waterbed at night... dreaming... dreaming...

I personally use the Scopace tablets, available by prescription in bottles of 100 tabs. That way I can vary my dosage to where I, personally, get relief. For me, it takes three tabs every eight hours. I started with one tab and worked my way up till I quit barfing.

Dosage will vary from individual to individual. The scop patch effectiveness depends on how well your skin absorbs the medication. Some of you older squid out there are probably watertight by now, and wouldn't soak up anything non-alcoholic.

Hence the tabs. Ask your personal doctor. What works for me will probably kill you.

"Sea Legs" Boat no longer rocks.
"Land Legs" Land no longer rocks.

It's the middle ear's way of saying "What the hell???"

Lexy:

Any ideas?
Gawd, I love that feeling :D
As for what it's called.....i've always known it as "Sea Legs"
C-Dawg

Thanks for all of the advise gang. Saw the doc tonight... apparently there's a fluid or something in the inner ear that continues moving after we've gotten off the boat.

He prescribed antivert (Meclizine) to stop the rocking. LoL - same thing as dramamine. I also have the scop. patches.

Oh yeah, then he proceeded to give me a serious scolding for diving last night. Never been scolded by a doc before. Ouch!

Lexy:

Any ideas?

I have been on boats most of my life and I get the same sensation. Once in Alaska I was on an 18' boat for 12-15 hours a day fishing in 3-4 foot seas. after the second day I never felt uncomfortable on the boat but ended up getting land sick and actually fell over taking a shower one night and staggered like a drunk on land all week.

An old captain up there told me its a good thing when you get sea legs because it means your middle ear is adjusting. Its the people that do not develop Sea Legs that end up getting Sea Sick and need pills or patches.

Rumor has it and the book I am reading "Under the Black Flag" talks about the old sea hands and Pirates staggering on land. Often they were assumed to be drunk but in many cases they had sea legs and were just out of thier environment on land.

FYI, I have been back from a cruise now for almost a week and I still find myself swaying in the shower.

Travelling in Indonesia, whenever I would get to a new place I would wake up in the morning, look around at the room and think "How did I manage to get such a big cabin?" I'd be holding on to the bed trying not to fall out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom