Still pondering on new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My first Digi was a canon G3, then up in size to Olympus C 8080, then a Fuji F30, followed by a Fuji F31.

Now looking to get my next camera, not wanting to go to DSLR... it needs to be a reasonably compact item with at least a 3" screen.

This is not just used as an UW camera, but obviously need a reasonable wide angle zoom ... with a good aperture.and sensor size.

I have been considering the Canon G 1X ... it has good zoom coverage with the 28-112mm F2.8-5.8 lens
and it's 1.5" sensor is almost up at the DSLR size.

Although it probably has a huge range of functions I will never use.

It was mentioned here to consider the Olympus XZ-1 .... it's about 1/2 the price of the Canon, the Oly is now approaching 18 months old, so is it due to be replaced ?

Any others I should consider.

Thnx will take a read of links.
My 'leaning' toward Canon G1 X has a lot to do with fact it has a sensor massively bigger than Olympus ...for a number of years they have been cramming pixels onto small sensors, now Canon have upped the ante by putting a 4/3rd sensor in a compact.

Beware that UW housings for the mft system cameras tend to be quite a lot more expensive than for the G12 and similar range cameras.
Even canons own housing for the G1x is much more expensive than their housing for the G12.
The housings is also larger for the mft system so it will be chunkier to lug around for diving.

What does MFT stand for ?
I know of Master File Table
Managed File Transfer
Manchetser Flight training

I understand your point though about the housing ....... I had an Olympus C 8080 and the Ikelite housing was huge, one of the reasons I don't want to go DSLR ... dive then becomes all about the camera ... whereas for me, camera is to 'sanp' something I see during a dive.

MFT = Micro 4/3rds

...I have been considering the -
Canon G 1X
Olympus XZ-1 ....

Any others I should consider.

Also now adding Fuji X10 to my options ... specs are good, bright lens, fast focussing, very good macro range, the negative I see is that there is no Fuji housing ... which means an expensive 3rd party housing.
On the 2 Fuiji's I have owned housing was less than 1/2 price of camera.

The Sony nex5n is a great camera with the same crop sensor that is used in the larger Nikon dslr camera's that are using the crop sensor. Nauticam has a great housing for it also. We use this combo all the time and rent it at the store and people love it. The pictures come out great and it shoots video.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w2bx1e

The Sony nex5n is a great camera .....

Never owned a Sony camera (use their excellent Sony Vegas video software ), never thought of them as a stills camera player ...
I note it has a touch screen ... is that a problem for diving, as you will be unable to touch it underwater ?

I'll go take a look. :)

Never owned a Sony camera (use their excellent Sony Vegas video software ), never thought of them as a stills camera player ...
I note it has a touch screen ... is that a problem for diving, as you will be unable to touch it underwater ?

I'll go take a look. :)

No it is not a problem at all. There is a disable feature on the sony and the Nauticam housing has a button for each control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom