STILL two weekends to go, plus a question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Was only able to intern with one specialty class (not two) this past weekend so I still have OW to intern both days this coming weekend, and HOPEFULLY someone will sign up for some specialty class for the following weekend so I can finish already!

As for the question, I was wondering for those who are doing/have done PADI DM course, what were the internship requirements. I believe that the shop I'm doing mine with has a few "extra" expectations beyond the minimum. I don't necessarily mind, as it's been valuable experience but wondering if I "could" be done already. Here's the internships/programs I needed to complete:

Internships
- OW academics and all 5 confined water dives
- OW all 4 open water dives
- AOW all 5 open water dives
- Rescue Diver all open water/rescue scenarios
- Two specialty diver courses (all academic, pool, and open water as required)

DM Conducted Programs
- Discover Scuba
- Scuba Review
- Discover Local Diving (two dives)

PADI requires:

5 confined OW dives -- not 5 sessions, but 5 dives, so a single OW class's pool sessions will knock them out

4 open water OW dives -- 4 checkout dives for one student meets the requirement

1 AOW dive -- ANY AOW dive

1 dive with certified divers in open water

That's all that is required. Your shop is going WAY beyond the requirements!

Your shop is going WAY beyond the requirements!

Yeah, as mentioned I knew there was some "above and beyond" here.

In fact I recall being told that at the outset, and that the program at this shop was geared towards the DM-C not just "getting the card" but to also be prepared to immediately become an active DM for the shop. Whether or not you do so after getting certified is up to the individual, but the extra experience does seem to be beneficial.

I think the extra experience is great. I know too many DMs that I wouldn't dive with, much less have them look after me as a student.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom