Stimulus money to be used to remove abandoned fishing nets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a pun, right... a "descent" use?

That link gave me a 15-sec Fabreeze commercial???

drbill,

I think you have to watch the commercial before you can see the CNN report. I had to watch a 15-sec commercial about Eveready batteries in order to view the video clip.

I didn't see anything about how much they pay or how they verify and authenticate it. So while removing nets may be a noble goal I don't see how anyone can declare it is a good program.

Well, there are some numbers in the article:

$4.6 million for the program.
40 fisherman
18 months

That works out to $6,400 per fisherman/month to do this work. That sounds decent to me. And I don't know if the 40 is really 40 commercial divers or 40 people total. I assume there needs to be a lot of surface support and disposal and other things.

My question is why, if this is damaging the fishing in the area, hasn't this already been done by a local consortium or something?

That didn't answer my questions as to how much they pay *for the nets* or how you verify the amount of netting removed. Are we just paying them for their time and telling them to give it their best shot?

This sounds more like something that should just be contracted out in a bid process.

This is just another sad story of the complete breakdown in government and regulations in every way. Stimulus money is spent to recover nets randomly lost and discarded by the local fishing fleet. The fleet profits from its catch but is held to no responsibility or accountability for its gear placement or removal should it be lost. In some ways I applaud the efforts to remove the nets but it is overridden by horror that prevention, responsibility, and accountability is completely overlooked.

As one who has been involved with the removal of a large net from the squid boat Infidel off Catalina coordinated by Ocean Defenders Alliance and our local dive community, I concur with OneRestlessNative's comments. Why is it divers have to clean up the trash left by commercial fishers and recreational boaters (as in our annual Harbor Clean-Up)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom