STINAPA EMERGENCY: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) is in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So sad to hear this news. We're arriving in Bonaire tomorrow--our first visit (planned two years ago but delayed due to the pandemic). We'll be interested to see how our dive operator proceeds.

So sad to hear this news. We're arriving in Bonaire tomorrow--our first visit (planned two years ago but delayed due to the pandemic). We'll be interested to see how our dive operator proceeds.
Who are you diving with?

We head out on two weeks. Hoping there will not be any further closures. Between the kite surfers on the south, and the closures of some of the northern sites, I worry about crowding on existing, available reefs. I question the rationale that divers are a risk factor for spreading this disease; since they are not(hopefully) touching any coral. Currents, fish (parrotfish) and cruise ships seem the be the more obvious suspects.

I will post my findings.

We head out on two weeks. Hoping there will not be any further closures. Between the kite surfers on the south, and the closures of some of the northern sites, I worry about crowding on existing, available reefs. I question the rationale that divers are a risk factor for spreading this disease; since they are not(hopefully) touching any coral. Currents, fish (parrotfish) and cruise ships seem the be the more obvious suspects.

I will post my findings.
There are no cruise ships at Karpata.

If the goal is to have all shore divers do that after every dive site change, I cannot imagine it will happen. The typical Bonaire 'work flow' for shore diving I've seen and done is load 2 tanks in the morning, head out to dive one dive each at 2 different (but usually not far distant) dive sites, eat lunch, swap for 2 more tanks back at the dive op., head out in afternoon and repeat. Maybe do a house reef night dive if staying ocean front.

The idea of heading back in and soaking gear 10-minutes after every single dive will probably not fly.

You might get people to do it at the end of the dive day, after they've variously hit 3 or 4 different dive sites.

Even soaking gear during lunch break likely won't happen consistently. A BCD weighted with lead is heavy. Hauling gear to/from rinse tanks from truck is a hassle.
This was posted by Dive Friends Bonaire on their Facebook page today. It addresses a couple of your questions, more with recommendations regarding diving multiple sites before coming back to wherever your base is, that type of thing.

⚠️⚠️ STONY CORAL TISSUE LOSS DISEASE ⚠️⚠️

As most of you have heard, Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease is now on Bonaire resulting in temporary closure of La Dania's Leap and Karpata Dive Sites.

This is terrible news and we all have to do our part collectively to help slow and stop the spread of this disease to the rest of the island.

Below is a list of our action efforts that we are taking and we ask that our divers follow the same lead. Effective Immediately:

1. All rinse tanks will contain 1% bleach. We encourage that divers rinse their gear as often as possible
2. Buoyancy is key! Keep safe distance from the reef and avoid any risk of accidental touching
3. For our divers who are diving independent of a guide, keep your dive itinerary to a 10km radius in order to prevent spreading to multiple sites. OR rinse thoroughly in between dives
4. Each location has a different wash tank layout, please ask the staff on hand which ones are available to use
5. Our DFB rinse tanks will be available to use for all divers on Bonaire

Let's stick together and make a collective effort in order to protect what we all love most, the reef.”

Erik

We were desperate for dunks in April 2021 and went to St Croix—first time back since I certified there in 1980. The island was already ringed with SCTLD, but there were some sites which seemed better than others. the operator with which we dived did not even mention the underwater pandemic, much less recommend or insist on any precautions. I believe that Bonaire’s dive community will do better.

We were desperate for dunks in April 2021 and went to St Croix—first time back since I certified there in 1980. The island was already ringed with SCTLD, but there were some sites which seemed better than others. the operator with which we dived did not even mention the underwater pandemic, much less recommend or insist on any precautions. I believe that Bonaire’s dive community will do better.
Unfortunately, I don’t think it will change the course of the spread (though I do hope it will).

I was in the process of signing up for Nov Bonaire trip with our LDS when I saw the OP on the situation but am now trying to plan a trip back to the South Pacific this fall instead.

I figure that’s better than adding to the volume of divers on the Bonaire reefs if that is contributing to the spread.

I think you’re right, Joneill, about the spread, and suspect divers aren’t really much of the problem (but do think divers and ops should do what they can). Early in the SCTLD times, I read that the infection was circumnavigating Grand Cayman at a rate of something like five meters a week, but given that it went from a few sights on the north shore to ringing the whole island in a year or so, it was probably a lot faster. We’re actually already booked for three trips to the South Pacific, starting this fall—although I have a hard time imagining two years without Bonaire AGAIN. I hope you find a trip that suits you.

I was thinking of getting on a November Bonaire trip with my dive shop, but will likely head elsewhere now as I’d expect the site closings and restrictions to only increase by then. I hope I’m wrong!
Got an email from my local dive shop late in the week re: opening in their Oct Buddy Dive trip.

I am thinking of a mid-late Oct trip and at first thought of taking them up (but kinda want to go somewhere I've never been...)

Then I thought of this thread. And then I thought of how over-the-top I thought the local government there was over the covid thing and thought if they're gonna do the same thing about this .... Maybe I'll be happier going somewhere else.

OMMOHY

1. Never touch the coral reefs – as the disease can be spread through contact, it is important to prevent the transfer of disease causing pathogens between different corals.
  2. Try rent gear locally – this will help to prevent the transfer of pathogens between different reefs.
  3. Dive on healthy reefs before diving on infected reefs – this lowers the risk of transferring pathogens between dive sites. If you’re unsure about which dive sites are infected, try asking the local dive club or go check out the SCTLD Tracking map on the Atlantic and Gulf Rapid Reef Assessment website.
  4. Rinse your equipment in a 1% bleach solution, then water, and it allows it to dry fully after diving at an infected reef, as this will kill any bacteria on the equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom