STINGRAY Dive Report and Schedule 7/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All! Friday, we found a great tog spot. The guys decended, with a warm surface temp of 72 degrees, onto the neglected spot on the Axel Carlson reef. I only expected one dive on this spot but as each diver came onboard, it became clear that we were going to do two. Many abandoned lobster traps on this wreck and reports of HUGE togs. Several large bugs came onboard (the largest being 3.5lbs) and a 5 pounder was left behind! I'll be returning to this spot on Friday to retrieve said delicacy to be prepared on the barby. I'm fairly intrigued by this spot - several skilled spearfisherman could really clean up on it. Several of the tog were described as monsters. I wasn't diving but I did once see an easy 20 pounder on the San Diego (I feel guilty because I gut shot the fish and it bolted into the wreck - lobster or shark food). It was a giant - unlike any I've seen before with a school of smaller togs swarming around it. So much for trophy hunting. I've since learned that once a blackfish reaches maturity it grows on average one quarter inch per year.
On Saturday we headed for the Pinta with RJ and the boyz (including Barbara - really nice person) from Treasure Cove Divers. I love diving with this group - a salty bunch of great divers turned out by mother RJ himself. RJ went down to tie in and claimed I drop the hook 100 feet off the wreck! I think he swam the wrong way - but, he's the client so 100 feet it was. Em... Pinta is a great site seeing wreck, she was my first northeast dive off the Jeannie Two from Sheapeshead Bay with the fabulous Bill Redding himself. Unfortunately there was only one foot of viz that day - but me being the crazy ******* I am, I was hooked.

OK - enough from me - Our Schedule:
Wednesday 7am Return for the 5lb bug for lunch site - and another dive (perhaps some natural rock habitat - depending on the group onboard).
Wednesday 6:30pm Treasure Cove Divers www.treasurecovedivers.com
1 tank twilight dive
Thursday 7pm Fireworks Cruise - feel free to bring the family
Friday 7am Blueboy for scallops, Beth Dee Bob for mussels
Friday 6:30pm 2 Tank Twilight/ Night Dive Spartam 65 feet
Saturday 7am Scuba Connection 70 foot range www.TSCscuba.com
Saturday 3pm Pennsylvania Special - Sleep late and still get to dive!!!
Sunday 6:30am Something New 1 tank dive NE Sailor
Sunday 10:30am IDA K and the Mahogany Wreck

I hope to see you all soon!
Captain Henrik
917-836-5354
Please call to reserve!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom