Storage? camera/housing/mounts/cords/accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
As my GoPro equipment parts and pieces count seem to grow and grow, I'm curious how everyone else stores and organizes their "stuff"....

I'm thinking more for travel and general use, so something fairly light and small/medium sized.

The Pelican type cases while bullet proof, seem overkill and weigh 3-5 pounds by themselves.

I've seen small fishing tackle boxes, tuperware with foam lined compartments....

But maybe the best......?.........check out this new RollPro I just found, seems perfect as a soft sided roll up pouch very well thought out for $60.

RollPro III - Organizer Case for GoPro by Mike Bratcher — Kickstarter

or these hard cases with pre-cut GoPro foam from Eye of Mine, who sells on ebay too:

Eye Of Mine Cases

I use a Pelican 1510 to carry my Aquatica system. You are right that they are heavy, but also bomb-proof. So far, I've been able to take it as carry on, but considering its weight, I think it's only a matter of time before I am forced to check it. When that happens, I am pretty confident that it will arrive intact.

I salt a few of the odds and sods into my other gear bags of I am flying... the dome port for example, strobe arms etc.

When I am storing the stuff between uses, anything that doesn't fit into the 1510, goes into another old Pelican case to keep it safe and together.

If you aren't concerned about having to check the thing, then I'd say just get a photo-backpack, or roller pack...

Thanks Stoo, but your application totally warrents a Pelican Case. For a $1500-2000 housing, dome ports, strobe arms and your total gear is valued at $3000+ dollars.

For the GoPro and dozen of small pieces, even a photo-backpack seems overkill, but I do like this one that I could put small fishing tackle boxes in for all the gopro mounts and such:

CAMERA BACKPACK 859456002270

I agree... And I wish my rig was only that. The one time I was "challenged" about the weight, I advised the airline person that the case had about $13000 worth of stuff in it and that I really didn't want to check it. She let me pass... ;-)

From what I know of the Go-Pro, it's pretty solid so you probably don't need to worry so much about protection as convenience.

It's amazing how this "stuff" just kinda multiplies isn't it? Kinda like coat hangers. And bunnies.

Pelican 1520... but I have 2 GoPros and lots of loose crap

freezerbags.jpg

Ziploc Quart-size Freezer Bag for connectors; Wrist sweatband (for GoPro lens cover); and an old-fashioned "fanny pack" to stuff it all into. I don't wear the fanny pack, mind you.

The roll pro type option looks pretty decent but I dont see the point of putting all the screws and spares that arent in any way fragile in their own little sections. Toozlers option is great for all those little extras just make sure you dont take those on as carry on because you may have issues going through the bag check like I did lol.

My checked bag was a kilo and a bit overweight so I took my bag of screws, tools and spares out of my suitcase and put it in my carry on backpack along with my GoPro cameras as that weighed about as much as I was over. I did have 6 GoPro's 2 tray's lights and arms so normally I wouldn't have as much in the spares bag but had heaps on that trip.

The guy scanned my backpack a couple times and I thought he may have had an issue with the GoPro cameras or Sola lights but it was just my bag of spares I completely forgot was now in my carry on, he confiscated a few of the things he said could be a safety risk taking my tiny pair of scissors, set of Alen keys and tiny spanner from my bag of spares. Then with my inflight meal I used my plastic knife and steal fork that would be more of a weapon then anything he confiscated before the flight :idk:

I keep all the cameras inside the housings and my LCDs on attached, I keep these in either a hard case I have that fits 3 GoPro cameras or a couple of roll bags I got from somewhere I cant remember that are very similar to the roll pro linked just smaller.

Last edited:
My answer is to keep it simple. If you buy a big bag, you'll just want to get more things to fill it up. I picked up a plastic case at Lowes for $3.50, and use a small camera pouch for the Hero3 housing. With minor modifications the case fits everything I need and more - standard and LCD touch backs, mounts, cables, 2 spare Hero3 batteries, the camera, LCD touch, Wifi remote, and even my 18650 and RCR123 batteries for my video lights. My tray, arms and lights go into my carry-on bag separately.

2013-01-06 12.15.46.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom