storing tanks for winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is the first year I've owned my own tanks. What is the best way to store tanks during the winter. I live in Michigan and keep my equipment in my basement. Thanks.

Just store with pressure in them. In the spring tell your shop to put fresh air in them. If your set on using the gas in them and they have sat around all winter then atleast analyze the gas before using it.

Vertical and protected from being knocked over. Tanks do not take much care.
If you suspect you have had any wet fills (boat fills), then get them VIP inspected and refilled sooner rather than later. No reason to let the water have time to rust/oxidize.
I tend to submerge each tank in water to make sure there is not a slow leak on the neck o-ring or valve, but I am paranoid
No rush, fall is prime dive time (the water temp lags the drop in air temp).

I usually try and keep my tanks full that way I can be ready for a dive when the time calls. That said, I do dive all year here in Massachusetts so I may be different than most.

Another option would be to not fill the tanks after your last dive of the season and drop them off at a dive shop over the winter for visuals and fills. That way you don't have to worry about it during the season.

Just store with pressure in them. In the spring tell your shop to put fresh air in them. If your set on using the gas in them and they have sat around all winter then atleast analyze the gas before using it.
Fresh air? What is the matter with he air on the tanks?

Fresh air? What is the matter with he air on the tanks?

If the tank is rusting it can pull some of the O2 out of the gas. Thats a pretty extreme case though. I have read about cases where diver have passed out due to hypoxia because of this. It probably would take more time then just over the winter but better safe than sorry.

If the tank is rusting it can pull some of the O2 out of the gas. Thats a pretty extreme case though. I have read about cases where diver have passed out due to hypoxia because of this. It probably would take more time then just over the winter but better safe than sorry.

If you do the math from your HS chemistry class, the amount of O2 consumed by rust is very small. The available surface area to rust (assuming steel) is not not large enough to drop the percent down to that point. I would not get worked up about it.

If you do the math from your HS chemistry class, the amount of O2 consumed by rust is very small. The available surface area to rust (assuming steel) is not not large enough to drop the percent down to that point. I would not get worked up about it.

Well I never took chemistry. Like I said its probably not much of a concern but is a $5 air fill worth it? To me no but then again I dive year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom