Storm Damage @ USAT Liberty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkyaffe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey,

I heard a rumor that the USAT Liberty suffered damage in a storm a few days ago and wasn't terribly diveable at the moment... Anyone there who can confirm or quash?

-Ben

Now my t-shirts with the map on them are classics.
I wonder if anybody will change their map.
Of course some of the translation is quite hilarious I hope they don't fix that.

If it's true about the bow gun my image may become a classic....

More about the Liberty here: Diving Indonesia: Bali ? Insiders Guide to the Liberty Wreck

Don

Bali_12_Dec_D03_009_pp_1000.jpg

The bow gun has separated and it´s more prudent not to venture inside swim-throughs for a while.
While this is a pity, the wreck is still very divable after the storm on July 4th.
The main reason for diving the wreck is its abundant wildlife and mysterious atmosphere. This is not going to run off anytime soon...

The coral encrusted guns were certainly an iconic image of Tulamben, I'm glad I got to see the in May this year while they were still in place. The night dive on the wreck is still one of the coolest things I've done underwater.

Last edited:
Was there July 4-7 for diving (dove July 5 and 6) and no one at Liberty Divers mentioned this to us or said anything about sections being too dangerous to dive. Maybe Liberty Diver purposely kept us away from dangerous areas without telling us, figuring (correctly) we wouldn't know the difference since this was our first time there. But we did swim throughs and did the night dive.

I can't remember what it was like last time I dived it, but today, the gun is on the seabed next to the bow.

Back
Top Bottom