Stowing Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to get some thoughts on how to stow the octopus. I find I can't stand the clips that are typically used or those little rubber boots as neither of them hold the octo securely. I see too many people draggin their octo through the coral due to these flimsy clips. To eliminate this, I velcro the pocket of my BC over the hose leaving the reg exposed, but very secure. It is very easy for me to access it with a slight pull, so I don't see any drawback from this approach. I'm sure a few folks will though :)))

My OW instructor taught us to stick the octo in the D-Ring connected to the shoulder pulls on the BC. It works great, easy to find, never comes out unless you want it to, and is much easier to replace after using it for drills, etc.

A snorkel keeper. Wrap one of the circles in a girth hitch around the d-ring, then shove the octo mouthpiece through the other circle. Underwater, it releases easily, and stowing is easy - pull the circle out so it stretches and the mouthpiece fits right in.

Of course, you could always put your primary on a long hose and move the "octo" to the bungeed position...

yeah, It is very difficult to find a good octy clip and rental BCD's almost never have them.

What I do is bend the hose and shove it into the little pocket where the strap goes into the shoulder.. I have been told that bending the hose like this will damage it, but I have fifteen regs that say this is not so.

If there is no little shoulder pocket, use the D-Ring like sandman says.

Same with the gauges, put them under the arm and clip the console through the chest strap.

well, you could rig yourself a necklace out of bunjee and wear the octo
around your neck. that's how i do it now.

before then, i used a clip that had a bungee loop at the end (bought it from
a store, shouldn't be too hard to get). it clipped onto my right D-ring and then
i wrapped the loop of bungee around the second stage, and voila.

never came undone on me, and it survived a lot of out of air drills.

H2Andy:
well, you could rig yourself a necklace out of bunjee and wear the octo
around your neck. that's how i do it now.

Put the octo on a short hose and wear it around your neck or yourself.

Put the longer hose on the primary and donate that one to an OOA diver.

Nothing dangles. Nothing drags and every one knows where to get air from you and your backup is right under your chin.

When I wear a "traditional" reg, I do as Johnny does and use a rubber snorkel keeper. It's simple, cheap, and works better than anything else I've tried ... and I've tried most of the readily available variants.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What Mike and Andy have suggested is DIR principles. It's also how I do it. My wife prefers to clip her octo to a D ring, however, so I found that Dive Rite makes a nifty octo holder of which Andy has also made mention; the plastic snap bolt clip secures to the BC's D ring. It's only about $3.95, and well worth the money. When on an OOA situation, there is the option to just pull the octo off, or unclip and donate it.

Here is a photo of it:

http://www.diverite.com/products/regs/retainer.htm

Semper Safe,

Rick

I was watching a special on Discovery... apparently octopi can get out of very tight spaces, so one has to be very cautious when storing an octupus.

PADI training at its finest! :)

octotat:
I want to get some thoughts on how to stow the octopus. I find I can't stand the clips that are typically used or those little rubber boots as neither of them hold the octo securely. I see too many people draggin their octo through the coral due to these flimsy clips. To eliminate this, I velcro the pocket of my BC over the hose leaving the reg exposed, but very secure. It is very easy for me to access it with a slight pull, so I don't see any drawback from this approach. I'm sure a few folks will though :)))

A snorkel keep works well. So does a thick rubberband with a knot in it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom