Strange creature at Lagun, Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustele

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Today I was diving with my buddy at Lagun in Curacao when we encountered this strange creature. My first guess when I saw it was that it is a chain of Pelagic Tunicates but on closer inspection I doubt it. The fuzzy thing in front seems to be the "head". The creature measures about 1 meter/yard. When swimming it looks streamlined but when in rest there are a lot of almost invisible tentacles which sting and which are speckled with tiny red dots.
This appears to be the Red-spotted Siphonophore according to Paul Humann in his book about Reef Creature Identification. In my almost 17 years of diving in Curacao I have never seen these.

Can anyone confirm the identification?

Tentacles invisible while swimming:
Lagun_20110330_015.jpg

When in rest or disturbed the numerous tentacles are visible:
Lagun_20110330_007.jpg

I can not only confirm your identification, but can confirm they are all over Curacao like crazy for the last month. Try not to approach too close, as they are (I'm guessing) spawning right now. The last three times I have been diving I have come up on these withing 2 meters or so. Each time, I've had a "sea lice" hit, to the tune of about 60 on my forehead. It was (and still is) rather unpleasant.

Jeff

That thing has tentacles extending out an astonishing length. The sea lice effect is probably from running into near microscopic tentacles you are unable to see. Look carefully, there are tentacles throughout the whole lower part of the lower picture frame.

Yep seen them all over. If they sting it's hurts but it doesn't stay long that's my opinion. Best is to run warm water over the afeeced area for 10 minutes. As warm as you can have. The venim is based on proteins.

You see them more in this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom