Streamlining my equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I use a different terminology. By corrugated, I mean the hose from BC to inflator. By LPI hose, I mean the LP hose from regulator LP port to inflator.

I agree that given everything the same, one less hose is more streamline. But one less hose piggy back with hose that is not optimal in length for streamline defect the purpose of one less hose. Air2 is the perfect example here IMO. When using standard inflator, I (most people I dive with) use 12-13" corrugated hose. This length is good enough for all kind of inflation and deflation, I can also inflate both wing and drysuit at the same time. And when in horizontal, the inflator doesn't dangle pass my body much. But there is no way I can breath of this length comfortably with full head moment if an Air2 is attached there.

When I haven't used Air2 before, I know that in order to get full range of head motion, I need the corrugated hose to be about 22-24" in length. In order to remove 1 hose, you need to elongate another hose. And I know for the fact with 22" corrugated hose, the inflator will dangle far off my body because I have a picture of myself with 18" corrugated hose, and it dangles.

From what I have observed, the most streamline config is 22" backup on bungee, primary donate on long hose. "long hose" can either be 40" or so router under arm, or 5"/7" hogarthan style. There will be no hose sticking/bowing/dangling out with this type of config.

I think I understand what you are saying. My hose with the Octo Z on it is the same length as it ever was. Would I want to do a whole dive using it. No. It also has a Dive Alert Plus on it as well. I didn't change the length as it is not necessary to get me safely to the surface. I don't share it. It reaches my mouth just fine and I can inflate and deflate at will. I don't have to raise it over my head as the top of the valve that attaches to the BCD is also a dump valve. I can just pull on it. I think I have 4 ways to dump on my Stiletto depending on what position I am in and where the biggest bubble is.

Incidentally, We are talking about a situation that most divers never see. You may go a whole career and never need to share air. I am not against an Octopus. I am against dragging it through the coral which many people inadvertently do.

Now, remember I am a warm water recreational diver. Most of the time I don't even wear a wet suit. Maybe a rash guard if there are jellies. I can't stand all that crap bungeed to me and wraped around my neck.

Me: ZeagleRangerLTD.jpgDive_Alert_Plus_DV2.jpgThis is my Zeagle Stiletto. Now tell me why I have to increase the size of the BC hose again? This is basically my setup. (Well minus the six pack).

You:download.jpg LOL, okay that's not really you. It's just how I feel with all that extra stuff hanging from me. I might as well be in one of those snuba outfits.

There is nothing wrong with a differing set up than the DIR crowd. /QUOTE]

That's the first time anyone has ever confused me with a DIR diver. I'm insulted. I didn't mean that a retractor would kill you. Only that it isn't necessary for most people. If you like it better, than by all means use one. Or an octo holder instead of a bungee necklace. The combo inflator/octo is a different story. It takes a lot of practice to ascend and control buoyancy while breathing from one. Beginners are taught to raise the inflator so it is higher than the bladder in order to vent. That's very tough to do when it is in your mouth. It is possible to use one. And it does indeed remove one hose. But it is an advanced skill and usually is not worth the minuscule gain in streamlining.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
I did not mean to insult you. But most of the "you need a bungee octo necklace" comes from the DIR (or similar) crowd.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 03:47 PM ----------

I can never understand why air2 type of inflators have anything to do with streamline. If anything, they are less streamline. The key for streamline isn't one less hose, it is the proper length and properly stow of all hoses. For air2 to be breathable, the corrugated hose needs to be about 22" to 24". This is why people use 22-24" LP hose for necklace Octo. 22" corrogated hose will dangle way pass the diver if he/she is in horizontal, not to mention that thing is huge. This setup will get in the way or get caught on things.
I use the standard hose and it does just fine. I will admit there is a little pull to the left but that doesn't interfere with the function of the device. I will on occasion switch from my primary over to my Atomic SS1 just to breath off it for fun but also to keep the routine of switching over in practice.

Also keep in mind for basic OW training or even AOW training with an out of air situation the dive ends right then and there. Since we are not supposed to be in an overhead situation either we should be able to go directly to the surface. For my training it was give the octopus to your buddy, or in my case I would donate my primary. Roman handshake and start the ascent to the surface. No swimming around or being able to go single file - as in wreck or cave diving. Just go up to the surface. And just because of all the talk on Scubaboard I did try using the controls while the SS1 was in my mouth. It was weird but did just fine as well. You don't have to take it out of your mouth to vent. Just push the right buttons. Which personally I like the SS1 better because I find it easier to work the inflate/deflate buttons compared to a standard power inflator. Especially with local cold water California diving with thick gloves.

But that's just me. I like it. But it's a little like sushi. It's not for everybody.

I'm not even going to address some of the stuff here. :shakehead:

For the OP's original post requests.

Octo's coming loose. Go to lowes or home depot and buy 2 feet of surgical tubing and 8 zip ties. This will make two octo holders plus leave a little extra tubing. Make a loop that holds the octo mouthpiece securely and put two zip ties on to hold it. Take the other end and loop it through your upper right chest d ring, webbing loop, or whatever is there in the area of your right nipple and zip tie it. The octo should be there. Not in the golden triangle as one way teaches. If it's there it's easy to see for anyone approaching and you know where it's at.

Wife's console. Depending on the console it likely has a loop on it somewhere. Take some cave line or bungee and a bolt snap. Tie that on through the loop. Hopefully there is a d ring on her left chest strap. If so clip it off to that. She will simply need to look down to see it. Don't waste money on a retractor. At some point it will fail and you'll need to buy another one. If she does not have a left chest d ring the hose is probably long enough to clip it to the right one along with the octo holder. Or there may be a d ring on the top of the bc pocket. Don't clip it off to a bottom one. That has to be one of the dumbest places to put a d ring. On the bottom where you have to hunt around to find it as it's hidden.

Secure your inflator with a piece of bungee cord that makes a loose loop around the shoulder strap near the connection. Do not put the inflator itself through this. Only the LP hose coming from the reg. It will allow the inflator to be raised and come back down to where it's supposed to be.

Get rid of any thing that makes a connection to accessories longer than it really needs to be. Scum balls, retractors, those goofy things that go into the mouthpiece to hold it, etc. Use bolt snaps. Put things in your pockets on your suit. If the suit does not have them put some on. XS makes nice glue on pockets that I have installed on every wet suit I own except one. I ordered my Wetwear custom with them on.

Only take what you need. If you don't really need it, leave it at home. If you do NEED something, like a knife or light, take two. But think before buying about where you will stow it. Pistol grip lights? Nah. No good way to stow them other than clipping off like a giant pendulum on you. Get lights that will fit in the pocket or can be bungeed and clipped off.

My son and I were practising, at the local YMCA, before our last trip. We had bought the octo necklaces, and found them to make OOA drills easier to do. Give the primary to the one who is OOA, and you take your octo off of the necklace.

I use the standard hose and it does just fine. ....

What is the standard hose length? I don't think there is an across the board standard. Mine standard is 12", it is what comes with a Halcyon and DSS wing. I am pretty sure with this "standard" hose, you can't even put the SS1 into your mount unless you are looking left.

A normal LPI hose doesn't supply enough air to run the regulator function, so there is a different connector used with an air2, and it comes with that hose. I'd have to find mine to know how long, but it's not really short. DGX etc sell those in various lengths too.

I am pretty sure with this "standard" hose, you can't even put the SS1 into your mount unless you are looking left.

eelnoraa,

Yes, just as you can put the inflater in your mouth to orally inflate, you can put the Air II in your mouth to breathe off of (and/or orally inflate). There's not much room, and you have to make use of the stretch in the corrugated hose, but it works fine. It's for "emergencies," after all. Over the years I have had several Air II hoses made in different lengths to accommodate different BC's, different tank configurations, different 1st stage regulators, etc. In fact, I recently (last week) purchased my first double hose regulator, and this past Friday I special-ordered an Air II hose correctly (I hope) sized for it when it's used with a Halcyon Pioneer 27 singles wing (with standard Halcyon inflater hose) and a SS Freedom Plate.

You're quite right: The Air II is noticeably larger than a simple Halcyon power inflater. But, it's not so large that it creates a problem (for me).

I've used an Air II since 1987. I don't use it when diving doubles. (However, I did experiment, a long time ago, with using an Air II with doubles—back when divers had fun experimenting with different gear combinations and configurations!)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I've used an Air II since 1987. I don't use it when diving doubles. (However, I did experiment, a long time ago, with using an Air II with doubles—back when divers [-]had fun experimenting[/-] were allowed to experiment with different gear combinations and configurations!)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
Fixed it for ya.

A normal LPI hose doesn't supply enough air to run the regulator function, so there is a different connector used with an air2, and it comes with that hose. I'd have to find mine to know how long, but it's not really short. DGX etc sell those in various lengths too.
Please explain this. The LPI hose doesn't make any difference unless for some reason it has a different connector on it. I recognize most regs don't have the quick disconnect on them but that shouldn't impede the airflow at all. Does the air2 use 2 separate hoses or a single connection similar to the quick disconnect on other inflators?

An air2 has a single hose that runs both the regulator and inflator, but the connector is capable of supplying a lot more air than a typical BC/drysuit connector. It won't fit a normal LPI connector. I know because I tried to use that hose by mistake on a new BC and it just won't seat. You don't usually want to inflate your drysuit as fast as you want to breath under severe stress, as the feet-up Michelin Man profile that results is usually considered undesirable. (Ok, the exhaust valve should prevent that...)

Back
Top Bottom