Streamlining Stages. Ideas, methods.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ste Wart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been musing over this since I saw this video on you tube:
[video=youtube;KJTWa2xHqJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJTWa2xHqJU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJTWa2xHqJU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

It's TDI IT Tom Steiner showing how to really streamline your stage cylinders. It's a good idea, I'm just not sold on the cam straps mounted on the bottom of the tank. I would have thought that the deep sea supply sidemount plate below, would be a better option.
https://www.deepseasupply.com//index.php?product=1277

40011_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg

My stage straps are custom made (for my short frame) from a random D*R website I found. What I was thinking was to bungee the valve neck, then clip the gate clip through the bungee and then onto the D-ring, to bring it close to the body, then have the tail plate to draw it closer at the rear. Although getting Deep Sea products in the UK is not such an easy task (but a welding torch and a RB counterlung D-ring could do the trick).

Any ideas from the masses? I'm guessing the side mount fraternity might have some good views.

I suggest you look at some of the sidemounting forums. The system in the video is much more complex than it needs to be. I use a double "D" like you show that I clip the bottom snap bolts to + bungies that run between the "D" rings on my chest and the one on my waist. It allows you to simply pull the bungie over the tank valve to connect the other end. Jill Heinerth had a great instructional video on it. I tried to find it so I could post here, but didn't have any luck.

Cave Diver's Forum has a Sidemount Forum that could also be helpful. But yes, you are going in the right direction.

I suggest you look at some of the sidemounting forums. The system in the video is much more complex than it needs to be. I use a double "D" like you show that I clip the bottom snap bolts to + bungies that run between the "D" rings on my chest and the one on my waist. It allows you to simply pull the bungie over the tank valve to connect the other end. Jill Heinerth had a great instructional video on it. I tried to find it so I could post here, but didn't have any luck.

Cave Diver's Forum has a Sidemount Forum that could also be helpful. But yes, you are going in the right direction.

Run Bungees from the shoulder D-ring to the Hip D-ring, OK, doubled up or single?

I had a brief look through the Side-mount forum. I found a few ideas, but I was wondering how many guys/girls are diving; I guess a , hybrid system half BP half sidemount?

I cam band a 50 millimetre suicide clip to the bottom of my stages
and clip them, wherever they clip, with bungee attached at the top

I still can't find Jill's video, but here are two commercial approaches:

Look at the "Tech Butt Plate & Bungee Set." Again, you can use your double "D" ring on your crotch strap + your own bungies. The metal clips help when trying to walk off a boat deck as the bungees tend to sag a lot out of water: Nomad BC System by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Or

ArmadilloCCR sidemount kit

I've got an Armadillo butt plate that I'll see you, but the double "D" works fine. I had to modify mine, as it's hard for me to reach around my tanks, so I extended them a little on each side:

Double Ds 3.jpg

This is with a big nod to Bill Ripley. Thanks for the ideas. :clapping: :clapping:

Finally managed to get hold of a side mount tail plate in the UK. You can see it in the first picture. IMG_1868.jpgIMG_1869.jpgIMG_1870.jpg

The cost for the piece was 4 times less than that of the deep sea supply model. Which I found surprising. If any UK divers need a custom piece, PM me for the name of the company.

In Images 2 & 3 is my new stage rigging. I've made it a lot shorter than the recommended lengths that I've found on teh interwebs. This is because a: I'm quite short and b: I'm quite short. The hose/ handle measurements are supposed to be 12", mine is only 8", as this is pretty much the distance from my shoulder D-ring to my hip D-ring; we'll see how it plays out in the water.
Also I've added a 45 degree Billy ring on the right hand side (as wearing) to facilitate easier clipping. I'm not sure whether I'm sold on this idea yet, and that is why I've only added the one, my left D-ring is still a standard one.
The next mod will be to get some bungee (as in the clip on the OP) and wear the stages in an almost side-mount configuration during the working part of the dive, then moving it standard position for deco. I'm anticipating a few tweaks to be made.

I use stainless hose clamps rather than cam bands on my sidemount tanks. Not as quick to take on/off but nice and simple.

Consider clipping the bottom of a stage on the butt ring when its full (so it hangs low) and on a regular waist D ring when partially empty (so it floats up)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom