Strengthening Upper Legs and Backside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Yesterday I was zooming around the pool doing a scuba review. Well flutter kicking is not my thing but I wanted to see how fast I could go. Normally I do very sedate skulling so that I don't stir up the silt or scare the critters or miss anything cool. Anyway my gluts are sore today and my hamstrings are a bit tight :blush:

What exercises can I do to strengthen them?

Problem: my doc agreed with the advice I got in another thread of mine here. I have joint and tendon troubles so I am limited to swimming, biking, yoga, and light lifting.

Breif Aside: what is the muscle that goes from the bottom of my armpit, down my ribs, and ends near the bottom of my breast? I keep straining it when I put on my wetsuit I think.

Gidds:
Yesterday I was zooming around the pool doing a scuba review. Well flutter kicking is not my thing but I wanted to see how fast I could go. Normally I do very sedate skulling so that I don't stir up the silt or scare the critters or miss anything cool. Anyway my gluts are sore today and my hamstrings are a bit tight :blush:

What exercises can I do to strengthen them?

Super heroes, bridges, mule kicks, and wave offs will all work those muscles in ways functionally similar to how you use them in diving. These are all exercises you can do without the need for any equipment. It would be all but futile for me to just type descriptions of those I couldn't find on the internet (a picture is worth a thousand words). However, you should be able to find demonstrations of them by "browsing" the fitness section of your local Barnes & Noble or Borders. These are also exercises demonstrated in "Fitness for Divers."

Breif Aside: what is the muscle that goes from the bottom of my armpit, down my ribs, and ends near the bottom of my breast? I keep straining it when I put on my wetsuit I think.

That is your pectoralis major. While strengthening them might help, it would be better to just figure out a way to get into your wetsuit without that much straining. <g>

Cameron

I thought my pectoral muscles were on the front of my body? This muscle I keep straining is on the side. I shall look up those exercises thank you for the suggestions :)

I think it's the Latissimus dorsi muscle.

Gidds:
I think it's the Latissimus dorsi muscle.

Wide grip pull downs and rows

gluts, wide full squats, like on a smith machine or a 10lb plate under your heals.

I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to do squats, I've always had trouble with them.

Gidds:
I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to do squats, I've always had trouble with them.

Do step-ups instead. Just like it sounds, step up onto and off of a sturdy step or box holding weights in your hands, or wear a weight belt.

i do leg presses and squats. squats stregthen the enitre body. they are the bread and butter of exercises.

Why I am not supposed to do squats: :rolleyes: my feet are flat, my knees are crooked, my femurs don't sit in my pelvis at the correct angle, one hip is higher than the other, my spine is crooked in two places, and one shoulder is higher than the other :rolleyes: garunteed to injure myself if I do squats. :shakehead

Back
Top Bottom