Stripping tanks (amazingly fun)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddthecat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I got a deal on 4 used AL80s last week. Two were painted and the paint was pretty beat up. Anyone who knows diving knows that a) painted tanks are a bad choice to begin with and b) the color of a tank and beat up paint doesn't alter the tank's ability to hold air.

Either way, I'm considering reselling them so I decided to go ahead and strip one of the tanks. This was a first time endeavor and considering I paid next to nothing for them, worth a try in my opinion. I researched and got an appropriate stripper :)eyebrow:). Let me tell you, this has to be one of the funnest things I've ever done!!! By the time it was all said and done the tank looks incredible compared to what it looked like before. I'm stripping the other one now. There's something addictive about this activity.

If you've ever considered stripping paint off a tank it's really easy to do and well worth it...

My husband uses a grinder to strip tanks. Goes very quickly and no ickie chemicals. He did an LP 85 last summer, repainted it, got new stickers and it looks like a new tank.

so I decided to go ahead and strip one of the tanks... Let me tell you, this has to be one of the funnest things I've ever done!!!

If you ever get to San Antonio and are looking for more fun, I've got 16 windows left that need to be stripped. If you do it I'll give you a set of doubles and your choice of any of my regulators (except the MK5 that has probably never been in the water) :D

Every time I strip a tank, I swear I'll never do it again. Last night I did a new to me AL40 that had corrosion starting under the paint and even though it was the easiest one I've done yet, I still disliked it. Tried a new type of heavy duty stripping specific gloves...still got a decent chemical burn on my hands from the stripping gel. Whatever's in that :censored: is basically pure evil.

I remember the first time I played with that stuff. I was 17 years old and thought it was no worse to your body than regular carb cleaner. Boy did I get a wake up call!

Now, the next step is to buy yourself an anodizing tank and play around with that - I promise you it's even more fun when you mistake the electrolyte bucket for regular water!

I use it when I strip paint off f-18's(navy)....pretty wicked stuff...we call it baby ****...had some get on my face...burns like a mother until you get water on it.

Every time I strip a tank, I swear I'll never do it again. Last night I did a new to me AL40 that had corrosion starting under the paint and even though it was the easiest one I've done yet, I still disliked it. Tried a new type of heavy duty stripping specific gloves...still got a decent chemical burn on my hands from the stripping gel. Whatever's in that :censored: is basically pure evil.

....it's molecular acid. :D

Back
Top Bottom