Strobe advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfdellas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to underwater photography, and am trying to set up a beginner system. So far, I have the canon rebel xsi (450D), the ikelite housing and ports. I'm now in need of a good strobe system and am lost to say the least.
I'm looking for advice on what to use - I do not plan on going very very deep, so the most powerful isn't necessary. Similarly, the recycle time can be on the slower side as i'm on a budget. I've seen what looks like good packages from Sea and Sea, but then (if I'm reading correctly) the sync cord alone runs nearly $450! Is this correct? Or am I looking at another item I don't need.
Another system I've looked at is from Ikelite (here: adorama.com/IK394448 dot html 394448 Ikelite Substrobe DS-51 / TTL Sync Cord / Flex Arm Package for Ikelite Housings) for $475.
I guess what I'm asking is two things. One, for advice on brands to go with, and the if I'm even looking at the right things! man oh man, am I lost!!
thanks for your help in advance!

Understand price is an issue, this stuff costs. But unless you live in gin clear water with a ton of light you need good strobes. In fact you want to buy the most powerful strobes you can afford. LIGHT IS EVERYTHING (almost) in underwater photography.

S&S, Inon, Ikelite all make excellent strobes and their advantages and disadvantages can be debated endlessly. Besides B&H look at and talk to the folks at Backscatter, H20 Photo Pros, Reef Photo and Video. They can help.

The reality is a decent 1 strobe system like the Inon 240 is going to cost around $900.00. IMHO if you do anything less you will quickly be disappointed with your results.

Welcome to the "black hole" hobby:wink:

Hi, I'm a newbie to underwater photography, and am trying to set up a beginner system. So far, I have the canon rebel xsi (450D), the ikelite housing and ports. I'm now in need of a good strobe system and am lost to say the least.
I'm looking for advice on what to use - I do not plan on going very very deep, so the most powerful isn't necessary. Similarly, the recycle time can be on the slower side as i'm on a budget. I've seen what looks like good packages from Sea and Sea, but then (if I'm reading correctly) the sync cord alone runs nearly $450! Is this correct? Or am I looking at another item I don't need.
Another system I've looked at is from Ikelite (here: adorama.com/IK394448 dot html 394448 Ikelite Substrobe DS-51 / TTL Sync Cord / Flex Arm Package for Ikelite Housings) for $475.
I guess what I'm asking is two things. One, for advice on brands to go with, and the if I'm even looking at the right things! man oh man, am I lost!!
You already have quite an investment in your photo gear.So going cheap on strobes makes the rest of the investment sortas invalid.I would suggest a ikelite strobe,being that your housing is an ikelite.Unless you are sticking to fish closeups and macro the ds51 will be fine.Go to wide angle and you will need 160 strobe or a second ds51..

thank you!! I must say, the scubaboard forums are my life saver! seriously, great info, fast and reliable. thanks again

Here's a link to a great comparison guide. I have an Inon S-2000 and love it. I did have an unfortunate experience with the batteries leaking, costing me the replacement cost of the strobe. I will now take them out every day when done.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php[/URL]

Sorry look below for the proper link.

A lot of your strobe choice will depend on what you are shooting. For example, a small strobe will be more than adequate for 99% of macro shots, but will not at all be useful for wide angle stuff. What lenses are you shooting and what type of shooting do you do. For wide angle stuff, two strobes and the more power the better are probably what you want. Unfortunately, the IKE system AFAIK does not allow for optical strobe sync so the very nice s2000 won't work; you will need to fire the strobes with an electrical sync cord. One simple system from Ikelite is the DS51 with sync cord and arms (about $600 from B&H). I think that the Ike TTL system works best with Ike strobes. For manual control you can go the Inon z240 route with a sync cord. $750 for the strobe, 150 for the sync cord.

Bill

Nothing against other brands but Inon makes some really impressive strobes, the S2000 is amazing though I much prefer the D2000.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom