Strobe Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Sunday

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am about to purchase a Canon a720is with either the OEM or Ikelite housings. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite but would not mind the OEM if I can find a strobe that would work with it.

I am clueless when it comes to imaging equipment so I am looking for a little advise.

Could someone recommend a good, reasonably inexpensive strobe and arm that would work for the camera above. It would have to be a slave with either an optical cord or/ light sensor trigger. I would like to get something that I will be able to use for awhile and not grow out of immmediately. For potential use with an DSLR someday. Any advise would be appreciated. What is the cheapest best option?

Thanks,
Ken

You can have cheap, or you can have something to grow with. You can't have both. For something you could grow with, and eventually use with a DSLR, you will need a better strobe. If you get the Ikelite housing you should get an Ikelite strobe. This way you can shoot ttl, and have something to grow with. Otherwise you could get the INON Z240. You can shoot it optically with your point and shoot, and it will fire electrically when you get a DSLR.

Whats TTL? Thanks!

Through The Lens

Very simplified explanation: When the senor gets the right amount of light back, it automatically quenches the strobe(s), thus getting proper exposure.

Dave

So TTL puts the camera in control of the strobe?

TTL is circuitry that allows the strobe to "read" the correct amount of light and set it for you. Otherwise, you would need to set the f-stop and strobe output accordingly.

So, if I am understanding right, having a TTL helps you from "blowing" your pictures? Is it kind of like and auto flash? With that being said, is TTL something that you should look at when beginning your journey as an underwater photographer? Does it have the capacity to grow with you as you develop and become better? Thanks.

Melanie

For the camera you have to support ttl via a housing port /sync cord must have a hot shoe,which I do not think you have on that model camera..I usually highly recommend ikelite housing for the reason that they support a hot shoe attachment thru housing to a sync cord that will support ttl use..
You most likely have to use a sensor/controller for a ike housing/strobe package.Not a bad kit but a little more involved with exposure control using a strobe.In future when you upgrade to a point/shoot with a hotshoe and more control of exposures or a dslr the strobe can be used for ttl with the new system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom