Strobe Arm and repositioning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dashmatrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For my setup I have to use the ikelite manual controler and DS-51 strobe. But it comes in two main variaitons that have me in a quandry. The arm package is available in the Ball Socket or Standard arm factor.

I'm told that the standard strobe arm has a short length at the base for mounting the EV-Controler. This setup allows the ability to reposition the strobe arm without having to readjust the EV-Controller. I am told that when using the Ball Socket arm with an EV-Controller everytime you move the strobe arm it knocks the EV controller out of whack. So when you reposition the strobe, you have to re-tweek the controler as well.

Now I have never shot underwater with a strobe, and this will be my first rig. So I don't know what to expect. Is it normal to have to reposition the strobe alot on a dive or is it one of those things that you set once or twice and shoot away ?
Is it worth the extra hassle and 100 bones for the ball arm ? Or should I just go with the standard ?

I don't know if it matters but I'm shooting with a Nikon Coolpix p2 with an ikelite housing.

Thanks.

I'm very new to strobe photography, but I can tell you I reposition my strobe frequently. Not every shot, but perhaps every 2-3 shots, and sometimes I try multiple positions for the same shot (when the subject allows!). Recall that the easiest way to tone down a strobe on an over-exposed shot is to move it farther away, rather than tweaking camera menus.

Finally, before you buy the Ikelite arms, check into Ultralight Control Systems. (www.ulcs.com) Give a call to Reef Photo (www.reefphoto.com) for pricing, and see if it might work as well or better. You may decide to stick with the ikelite arms, but it's worth a free phone call to see if there may be a better options. :)

You will (should) be positioning your strobe quite often to get the angles you are looking for on each subject. You'll make even minor adjustments often on the same subject trying to get the lighting different or maybe you want to get closer and the strobe needs to move so it won't hit something.

I actually shoot with my strobes on dual 12" arms so I can get them out 24" for wide angle and still get them close when needed for macro. I use the ULCS arms also and love them. I had Ikelite on my old film camera and wasn't real happy with that set up.

Just my 0.02. :D

My new rig has only been out on two dives, but I have already realised that your strobes need to be repositioned a lot, depending on the shot. I have also got Ultralights, and am extremely happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom