strobe arm lengths for DSLR macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a new owner of a DSLR setup, I'm curious to know what arm setups people use with their DSLR and dual strobes when shooting macro. I've initially purchased 8"x2 on each side mainly for WA but wondering if I should go with shorter arms for a more streamlined macro setup.. Would just using a single 8" arm be OK. I've got those angled UCLS bases on the grip tops an a Inon Z adapter at the strobe side.

Here's a pic with both 8" arms.

170460539_e0a48d6284.jpg

stick with the 2 x 8 for macro.

you really need two segments for macro as you have so many difft ways to aim your strobes depending on subject and composition, background etc...

a lot easier to move em around with 2 sections per side...

Hmm OK. Will do my best to not poke out my dive buddy's eyes with those 8" antlers...

I dive with two S&S arms with the smaller parts.
Only on super-macro I use strobes mounted on the port via multi-strobe ring

Often when shooting Macro you are trying to get into thight places WITHOUT TOUCHING OR MOVING ANYTHING so the smaller you can make your arm segments the better.

dbh,

Slightly off topic. How do you find the overall weight of your kit wih the 2 Z220's, and 8"+5"x2 arms? I took my rig out last weekend with the Inon Z-240's (2), 8"+8"x2 arms, S&S housing, and 60mm port and found it substantially negative. Trying to decide if I should look into those buoyancy arms. If I remember, the subal is slighly negative buoyant?

pakman:
I took my rig out last weekend with the Inon Z-240's (2), 8"+8"x2 arms, S&S housing, and 60mm port and found it substantially negative.

Could you guesstimate how negative they were, Mike?

I have an Aquatica housing coming for my 20D, along with 2 sets of TLC 8-8-4 arms, and I plan to slap on Z240s as well (when they do show up in stock, I guess), and all this talk of these strobes being negative is getting me a-wondering now as well.

Vandit

maybe "substantially" was the wrong choice of word to use there. Hard for me to guess. Just found it tough to hold for a single handed shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom