Strobe for Canon 2Ti with Epoque housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got an Epoque housing for my Canon T2i dSLR. The Epoque has a Nikonos style external strobe connector and I naively thought I somehow could get my two Olympus UFL-2 strobes to work with it. I rigged an optical adapter to see if I could use my fiberoptics cables to get the T2i's flash to trigger the external strobes. The T2i's preflash made it impossible. I turned the pre-flash off, but apparently the Canon has a second almost unnoticeable preflash that figures flash exposure and white balance, and it means it won't play ball with the Olympus flash units. So no external optical flash control with the T2i.

So what about TTL? I asked an expert friend at Imaging Resource. "TTL won't be possible from the T2i to the Oly flash. The TTL technologies are incompatible," he said.

At this point I am stymied. I don't know enough about TTL flash triggering technologies to figure out what works with what.

So my questions are:

Is there any way to use the Olympus UFL-2 strobes with a Canon T2i?

If not, what (hopefully not bank account-busting) external underwater strobe would definitely work with the Canon T2i?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom