Strobe for DSC-V3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have the DSC-V3 with an Ikelite housing. I do a lot of night diving and would like to attach a flash so I can take some pictures. Ikelite's site suggests using the DS-125 with the manual controller, but I don't fully understand how this set up works. Do I turn the flash on my camera on and the manual controller detects the preflash and sets the DS-125 appropriately? I have a ton to learn about taking pictures, it seems anytime I take my camera of auto and try to manually set it up my pictures get worse. Will this strobe set up be one more thing I have to adjust?

Last but not least as regarding a macro lense. Which one can attach to the housing a would you suggest?

Okay, here I what I ended up buying. I bought the Ikelite Substrobe DS-125 / TTL Sensor / Ball & Socket Arm Package since it was on sale for $699 and bought the manual strobe controller seperate. Together it came up to the same price as the package with the manual controller instead of the TTL sensor. I figure if/when the TTL sensor doesn't work properly with my camera I can always ebay it.

Hopefully this weekend I can test it out.

It all arrived today. I have both the manual and ttl controller. Can I hook up the ttl controller and what would happen? Is there any conditions where the ttl controller would be useful, or should I sell it off? What about the manual setpoint for night pictures?

TTL controller is not a satisfactory choice with this camera. You missed the next sentence after recommendation of Manual Controller: "The controller must be triggered by a sync cord attached to the bulkhead in the housing back." You may be able to use if Manual Controller can be tripped by camera strobe, but I suspect the camera strobe will bounce too much light around inside of the housing to the detriment of the photos. Correct setup is sync cord from housing to Manual Controller which attaches to the strobe. Subjects four or more feet away use full power on Controller. Reduce output one f/stop (2 clicks) for each foot closer as a starting point for exposure.

What's the part number for that cord? So far the manual controller fires fine, I just don't want it becoming an issue at the worst moment.

What about close up picture at night? A lot of my photos seem too bright and I have the f/stop reduced as much as possible. What about reducing the flash to 1/2 or 1/8, would that make a difference?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm very new to the whole UW camera bit and have never had to actually take a picture before, usually the camera adjusts everything automatically for me.

That would make a big difference Randy. That should work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom